Knob for bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Garno, sorry I can't help as well the knobs I have are 5mm, It sounds like you need to have a good clean out were you lock it up If you have to use a bar to turn it must be very clogged up.

Sorry what I meant was that as I no longer have the knob to turn it I am using the steel tubing as that is the only thing I have that is small enough to go over the plastic bit and turn it. The block now raises and lowers freely but I cannot keep it at the heights I set it at.

It's my bad as it is a difficult one to explain and it making sense by the end :giggle: :)

Don't worry, I understand you can see the problem it's hard for us to see it from words, can you fit a 6mm bolt to lock it up, would be easy with a spanner or Allan key

I may be over thinking this and will try out an idea tomorrow.

Your suggestion @Phill05 has legs and I will try that out first.

I would like to thank everyone who took part in this thread there has been some great help offered and it is very much appreciated.

THANKS (y)(y)(y)

You find these sorts of knobs on old swivel chairs and the like. I save small handy stuff like that before I recycle/bin things

There's a company that sells every style, size and thread you might ever need. I'll send you a link when I get home.

Hi Garno

Just what Phill05 said. If a 6mm bolt does fit then it's a very simple job to make a knob out of hardwood and epoxy the bolt head into it, I've done exactly that over the years, or drill out an old plastic knob and do the same, or, if you cant find a male one long enough off the shelf buy a female of the same thread, cut the head off the bolt ( or use threaded rod) and fix to the knob, as said, if you want extra security drill from the side and lock the knob and bolt together with a pin, could be wire or a nail, doesn't matter.
It's a pity you aren't near me as I could do it for you very quickly.

Hi
I'm not sure why you can't find the part on websites such as WDS, I've just had a quick look and there are loads of options, just picked out one but on most of them you can select the thread and length of shaft, just measure what you have and go though the designs and option listed in the chart under each and choose what's best. They are dirt cheap but postage costs on top, I usually wait until I could do with a few items and lump them together.

Indexing Clamping T Handle - Black Male Thread (WDS 8244) | WDS (wdscomponents.com)

Hi
I'm not sure why you can't find the part on websites such as WDS, I've just had a quick look and there are loads of options, just picked out one but on most of them you can select the thread and length of shaft, just measure what you have and go though the designs and option listed in the chart under each and choose what's best. They are dirt cheap but postage costs on top, I usually wait until I could do with a few items and lump them together.

Indexing Clamping T Handle - Black Male Thread (WDS 8244) | WDS (wdscomponents.com)

Thanks for the link but sadly that is not what I am looking for. I am after a female knob M6 (That is no problem getting) It will need to have some kind of a sleeve (for want of a better word) that will go over the plastic bit shown on the the 3rd, 4th and 5th image. That sleeve grips the plastic allowing me to turn it and move the guide up and down the thread remains static and never moves. On the 5th image the hole with the missing bolt I have now solved with a female start knob and a nylon threaded locking nut. That should lock the height in position when tightened, I shall find out tomorrow when I try it, if that fails I know that a simple coach bolt will work, albeit I will need to use a screwdriver.

I have just got back from a friends house who also has the Workzone bandsaw but his lock and block riser is incorporated into the one operation unfortunately I do not know if his is the newer or older version of the one I have but he only has the one knob with a large wingnut looking thing that pulls out and turns to raise and lower.

Hi Garno, can you give me drawing and put some measurements of what you need and I can turn you one up in plastic or metal.

Phill

I will do it tomorrow Phill I really appreciate the very kind offer.
I can only do it freehand though but I will scan it into my desktop so it has the best clarity.
It's kind offers like yours Phill that make these forums what they are.
Many many thanks

Gary

I have a cheap bandsaw.

It has a knob on the back that raises and lowers the blade guide height, at least it did have one until it broke.

Does anyone know the correct terminology so I can google it and buy one? or does anyone know where I can get one from?

Thank you
Gary
Hi, I promised to give you a link to the company about which I told you this morning, just in case it might be helpful.

It's: WDS Components <[email protected]

I've found them ultra-useful whenever I've been stuck!

I have managed to sort out the top knob that needed a sleeve to go over the plastic,
I always knew I was overthinking the problem and the solution ended up being a simple one.

I used a female knob that slid over the plastic bit, that was too big for the M6 thread so would not stay. With a washer and a M6 nylon threaded locking nut it now stays in place and the blade guide raises and lowers better than it ever has done. The only downside is that it is desperate for a bolt or something to lock it all in place. I think the hard part has now been solved, THANK YOU EVERYONE for your help in this frustrating matter.

Phill05 said:
Hi Garno, can you give me drawing and put some measurements of what you need and I can turn you one up in plastic or metal.
PM sent @Phill05

Here it is, 40mm x 6mm
File 10-06-2021 16 03 08.jpeg

If the shank is 60mm or greater it would work otherwise as it is it would not, however I may be able to reduce the overall width from 40mm to 20mm.
If I could get hold of some No Nails I would be able to knock something up but I can't find any at the right price anywhere.

Back