Knob for bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I have a cheap bandsaw.

It has a knob on the back that raises and lowers the blade guide height, at least it did have one until it broke.

Does anyone know the correct terminology so I can google it and buy one? or does anyone know where I can get one from?

Thank you
Gary

If you know the thread size, such as M6 or M8 Male or Female thread, type in "Star Knobs" and the thread size and that should bring up plenty of options.

If it's an old bandsaw and has Imperial threads, there are still a few companies out there that can provide you with a knob with the correct thread on it.

What is the make of bandsaw? can you take a photo of where it was I have some parts spare.

I will take some photo's tomorrow.
The knob screws on a thread until it reaches a circular bit of plastic with a flat side. The knob has a flat side on the thread that marries up with the plastic part. Once it is over I can raise or lower the blade guides upto 3" or so.
I think it will be a lot easier when I photograph it :giggle:

Look at WDS components Gary they have a large choice.
WDS Components | Machine Parts & Engineering Components

Thanks for that Lons

I couldn't find what I was looking for sadly.
I have 3 possible names for what I am after but again I just cannot find it on google.

I suspect it is one of these 3, Saw blade guide locking knob, blade lock or blade height adjustment knob. It is as @Distinterior suggested a female knob with the hole going all the way through that in turn grips the thing with the flat edge (Flat edged circular tube about 5mm deep)

I will take photo's tomorrow and post them.

Thanks everyone

Gary

If you can determine what the thread is and have a good idea what the important parts of the shape are I can always 3D print one for you. I have done the same using a metal insert pushed in to provide the thread.
Martin

Male seeks knob...

thought I was on the wrong website for a moment!

sorry, childish I know 😞
I was already sniggering over "Axminster tools stock all sort of knobs."

I'm planning on growing up next week, or the week after. Sometime soon, anyway.

Distinterior
"Sounds like you need a Female knob...if you'll pardon the expression!😁"
isn't that the norm for the Woke brigade, Snowflakes and others......perhaps I got it all wrong again.....hahaha....

T/Neophyte
please dont grow up, we need the jovialolity........All that sunshine can drive u crazy anyway....lol.......

Here are some photo's, due to the shakes I have they are blurred. I have sort of rescued these.

The bandsaw is a Workzone HBS20 and the threads are M6 as is the thread for the part that is missing. I didn't realise it was even missing until I started trying to find the name of the broken one. I have sort of made one to replace the missing except for one very important detail and that is that the knob unscrews when trying to loosen the mount thing that goes up and down. I am not sure how I can stick the knob and the thread together.

First two are what I made but when tightened to keep the blade block in place or straight the knob unscrews and leaves the thread in situ.
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG

This has a flat part for the full depth of the plastic. This plastic bit moves the block up and down. The thread is M6
IMG_0002.JPG

Flat bit.png

This is an overall photo of the machines problems
Blurry band saw.png

First part… That’s a male M6 star knob, cheap on EBay. Sometimes a company make them by taking a female knob and bonding a stud in, this is a good one to know if you can’t get one long enough, sounds like what you’ve tried, use thread retaining compound or epoxy to do this, or even superglue at a pinch, but get it clean first.

not sure what the second part is, can’t really tell from the picture. Does the manual have an exploded assembly diagram? Presumably this is the clamp for the blade guard/bearings height?

Hi Garno, sorry can't help with what you're looking for, but I have the same machine and found that mechanism was jamming up with sawdust (rubbish extraction) so I taped a piece of thin perspex in place to deflect the dust away, if that's of any help in future.

Hi Garno, sorry can't help with what you're looking for, but I have the same machine and found that mechanism was jamming up with sawdust (rubbish extraction) so I taped a piece of thin perspex in place to deflect the dust away, if that's of any help in future.

I think that may have happened and I have tried to turn the upper knob too hard and that in turn broke it. I have found a bit of steel tubing that can turn it but it is very haphazard and does not keep it at the height I set it at.

Hi Garno, sorry I can't help as well the knobs I have are 5mm, It sounds like you need to have a good clean out were you lock it up If you have to use a bar to turn it must be very clogged up.
Re: the knob coming off the 6mm shaft get some two part epoxy put some in the knob and screw on tight.

Latest posts

Back