Knitting needles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
It's got to be high amongst the strangest things I have been asked to make. The pair of rather large, almost fence pole size, knitting needles. 25mm X 50cm, black walnut and oak, 30mm X60cm, black walnut and oak and 40mm X 63cm, accoya and box.

It was interesting and good skew chisel practice!

3 pair Exreme knitting needles.jpg

Finished with hard wax oil and intercrystaline wax. They are so smooth and I was surprised and pleased with the finish that the accoya took. Never seen an accoya tree though :rolleyes:

Sorry for the late reply gents and ta for your comments. I must have forgotten to put the tell me link in there.

They were very well received by the shop owner lady who they were for and if she's right they won't be the last I turn. Just as well I have a nice joinery 1/2 mile away that is willing to let me help myself to their off cuts.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the finish the accoya took. Chestnut hard wax oil and microcrystaline wax and they are all like silk, or plastic :eek: :eek:

I also came up with the idea of a magnetic pin box, band saw special. Easy to do and it went down very well with the lady in the shop too. The most fiddly bit is getting the right size and champher for the contrasting inserts, but easy if taken carefully. If they don't fit right it looks awful. The little insert is to orientate the lid and done with a plug cutter and Forstner bit.
Mag pin boxes.jpg

Back