Knife block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend to make him a knife block.

Would appreciate suggests for design and manufacture.

If I where to make a knife block I would make a bamboo skewer knife block, a box filled with skewers that way you can fit any knife into it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bamboo+ ... 80&bih=557

I made a horizontal on to fit into a draw using 1100 skewers the cheapest I found where £1 for 100 from Dunelm mills, for a small one you would probbaly need 500 or so.

Pete

an open topped box approximately 60x60, perhaps with dove tail joints on the side you can see and a dado fitted bottom. perhaps fit slides to the sides and fit it beneath a worktop so it can be slid in and out for access, maybe with a nice handle to grip.

Theres a hygiene issue with skewer type knife blocks. Dust, grease, and bits of food fall down amongst the skewers and fester without you ever knowing about it. I made mine from planks of walnut, cut out for each knife, and then glued into a block. Each knife slot is open at the other end, allowing cleaning with antiseptic spray or similar.

As Sunnybob says, there are hygiene issues with both skewer and traditional knife blocks. Whatever design you go for, make sure it can be taken apart for cleaning. I'm from a era where "a little bit of muck won't harm you" but having seen a knife block being taken apart and the amount of crud etc. inside, I won't use one.
I use a magnetic strip on the wall (inside a frame).

I use a knife holder full of bamboo skewers. It's not a perfect system but it is versatile as mentioned above, allowing almost any size and shape of knife to be accommodated although with some awkwardness sometimes as sharp edges and serrations can catch on the bamboo.

Bamboo is naturally antiseptic and one of these should stay clean for a very long time anyway, if you're the least bit careful. I had cause to remove all the skewers from mine last year and it was perfectly fine inside, after six or seven years of daily use.

But overall I think a magnetic rack or block is the most practical knife-storage option, as long as there are no concerns about child safety. You get instant retrieval and return, never have to faff about pushing the knife into a bed of skewers and having it catch, or gouge the top of your block when you get your aim wrong sliding it into a well-sized slot. The tops of conventional knife blocks inevitably end up being scored and unsightly.

I bought a new set of knives last year. Not these knives but this block:
S1668_LS6.jpg

The knives themselves are lovely, but the block, whilst looking smart, doesn't actually work very well.

There are two problems:
1. The knives are vertical, so when underneath a wall cabinet, I can't pull out the longer knives, so the block has to sit forward, where it takes up more useable space.
2. The small knife is forever falling over (and out), as the handle is heavier than the blade. If each knife had its own slot it would be OK, but there are just two slots for 3 knives each.

So I would say make the block angled forward rather than vertical, and, if you are cutting slots, give each knife its own slot.

As regards the bamboo skewers and hygiene issue, I don't see any reason why they could not be taken out and put in the dishwasher on a regular basis.

I used to have a bamboo skewer knife block/resting place. Since moving house we now have a magnetic knife rack, which is great, but a few days ago I found a staple (the stationery variety) clinging to the magnetised blade, and was slightly worried about what might have happened. Maybe I'd rather eat a bit of dirt than a sharp metal thing.

You can make your own "staple diet" jokes, but it's a true story.

Steve Maskery":y6hvwnap said:
I bought a new set of knives last year. Not these knives but this block:
S1668_LS6.jpg

The knives themselves are lovely, but the block, whilst looking smart, doesn't actually work very well.

There are two problems:
1. The knives are vertical, so when underneath a wall cabinet, I can't pull out the longer knives, so the block has to sit forward, where it takes up more useable space.
2. The small knife is forever falling over (and out), as the handle is heavier than the blade. If each knife had its own slot it would be OK, but there are just two slots for 3 knives each.

So I would say make the block angled forward rather than vertical, and, if you are cutting slots, give each knife its own slot.

As regards the bamboo skewers and hygiene issue, I don't see any reason why they could not be taken out and put in the dishwasher on a regular basis.
I don't think it looks smart at all. More future plastic landfill. Somewhat surprised by your choice, Steve. I'd have expected a more tree based solution.

Another vote for magnetic wall mounted block. A perfect place for your most commonly used [marking] knives, a pair of kitchen scissors, some cooking chisels and, where space permits, a chef's sliding square. Works great when you need to eat and have a dovetail project on the go.

I bought this knife block just over a year ago. It fits into a kitchen drawer and works brilliantly, better than I had anticipated keeping all the knives separated and ordered and as it is in the drawer there are no issues with dust build up in the crevices.

517kF56OmZL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Attachments

• 517kF56OmZL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    517kF56OmZL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 115
I don't agree that the skewer blocks are unhygenic. My sister has had one for 20 years and is as fit as a fiddle. And at £11 for a fresh set, it wouldn't kill you to replace them every decade or so.

mrpercysnodgrass":2g06gfr7 said:
I bought this knife block just over a year ago. It fits into a kitchen drawer and works brilliantly, better than I had anticipated keeping all the knives separated and ordered and as it is in the drawer there are no issues with dust build up in the crevices.

View attachment 517

I like this.

I quite like novelty animal shaped ones lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back