Kneeling/Posture Office Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White House Workshop":3s2grohj said:
We had one for about 15 years and just got rid - as we got older it started to strain our knee joints and caused some tendon problems, so out it went on freecycle.

Hmm, perhaps at 43 that might start happening to me. Thanks WHW

kafkaian":36g68lrl said:
White House Workshop":36g68lrl said:
We had one for about 15 years and just got rid - as we got older it started to strain our knee joints and caused some tendon problems, so out it went on freecycle.

Hmm, perhaps at 43 that might start happening to me. Thanks WHW

I think you'd be all right at 43, but we're 60+....... :roll:

kafkaian":28515afm said:
Any one ever made one of these chairs of have better plans?

Ever used one? What do you think?
I had the opportunity to try a bunch of these way back in 1985-6 when they first became trendy. Many then and I think even more now have a poor design which is not sufficiently adjustable to the individual. I suspect this is what makes many of them uncomfortable for some/many users. I actually thought about getting myself one recently and many of those on sale (especially the cheaper ones) appeared to lack adjustments.

They were very good for the back and overall posture. The key issues are that (unless it happens to exactly match your leg dimensions) you have to be able to adjust the following:

final sitting height
leg length from buttock to knee

and probably these angles:
angle of seat
angle of knee/upper calf rest

The problems we found with some of the kneeler chairs in 1986 all stemmed from the fact that you could not adjust them properly for the length of your upper leg and could not get the correct weight distribution between the buttock and lower leg. Try and find one that suits as:

Too much weight on the front of the leg (wrong length or angle) is very uncomfortable and like kneeling across a plank.
Weight on the knee cap (wrong length) rather than the top of the lower leg can be painful
Too little weight on the leg leaves you wobbling about on the top.

kevinr":1pg69utz said:
I had the opportunity to try a bunch of these way back in 1985-6 when they first became trendy. Many then and I think even more now have a poor design which is not sufficiently adjustable to the individual. I suspect this is what makes many of them uncomfortable for some/many users. I actually thought about getting myself one recently and many of those on sale (especially the cheaper ones) appeared to lack adjustments.

They were very good for the back and overall posture. The key issues are that (unless it happens to exactly match your leg dimensions) you have to be able to adjust the following:

final sitting height
leg length from buttock to knee

and probably these angles:
angle of seat
angle of knee/upper calf rest

The problems we found with some of the kneeler chairs in 1986 all stemmed from the fact that you could not adjust them properly for the length of your upper leg and could not get the correct weight distribution between the buttock and lower leg. Try and find one that suits as:

Too much weight on the front of the leg (wrong length or angle) is very uncomfortable and like kneeling across a plank.
Weight on the knee cap (wrong length) rather than the top of the lower leg can be painful
Too little weight on the leg leaves you wobbling about on the top.

A great technical appraisal thanks. Appreciated

I suspect the plans here are a little too basic then or at least I will need to adjust them to whatever suits my posture and leg dimensions. Hmmm

Yeah, it annoys me that most of the ones on sale have limited adjustment. And the few good ones are aimed at trendy offices so are really expensive.

Back