Knee Pain...Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
I suffer daily from this, and have tried various 'recommended cures'.
Spotted a recurring ad praising Tumeric Curcumin...anyone tried it..have you had any success with other medication?

Gerry

As far as medication goes, I'm afraid you need a diagnosis first - lots of things can make knees painful, and they're one of the worst designed pieces of anatomy we possess. Pretty much everyone gets to late middle age with knee issues, I'm afraid.

The two things many people (and no idea if this applies to you, obviously) can do is (a) build strength and (b) lose weight. A lot of knee issues are caused by the fact they are weakened by modern, undemanding lifestyles and at the same time carrying a weight in excess of the design load.

Possibly irrelevant, but I had some progressively worsening pain / weakening in my knees, which was starting to become an issue. I stopped crossing my legs when sitting on the sofa, and now use a footstool. Problem gone in about a week. Something about resting one leg on top of the other was causing an issue.

I only hope yours is an easy fix, too. My personal experience with "super foods" is that nothing changes, but I have a pretty healthy diet before I start eating extra kale, or cinnamon, or tree-frogs or whatever.

lastminute":2p32atqi said:
.........Spotted a recurring ad praising Tumeric Curcumin...anyone tried it..have you had any success with other medication?........

There's absolutely no evidence supporting the use of turmeric for joint pain. It's pseudo-science, quackery, wishful thinking, and woo all mixed up with hype to extract money from the gullible. Turmeric is the latest fad, and like all snake-oils, it is also supposed to cure cancer, digestive problems, flatulence, insomnia, and baldness. It won't do you any harm, though, unless you take it instead of something you should be taking, but there isn't a jot of evidence that it will do you any good.

u38cg":16ps3jdn said:
......knees..... (are)....... one of the worst designed pieces of anatomy we possess.......

For 99% of the time our species has existed we've had a life expectancy of under 40 years. Evolution has produced a joint which does a perfectly good job for that sort of time scale. It's not just the design weight being exceeding which causes the issues, but the design life.

u38cg":2fzwn0tg said:
As far as medication goes, I'm afraid you need a diagnosis first - lots of things can make knees painful, and they're one of the worst designed pieces of anatomy we possess. Pretty much everyone gets to late middle age with knee issues, I'm afraid.

The two things many people (and no idea if this applies to you, obviously) can do is (a) build strength and (b) lose weight. A lot of knee issues are caused by the fact they are weakened by modern, undemanding lifestyles and at the same time carrying a weight in excess of the design load.

Building strength is worthwhile anyway (unless that would worsen the joint physically, thus the need for a diagnosis).

My hip began to give me grief a year back, though not severely, so I tried some gentle exercises to strengthen the core and leg muscles. I was shocked how weak my muscles had become. A year on and I'm fine, plus lower back pain has gone (though not all the stiffness from 60+ years use).

This is very gentle -10 mins in the morning, 5 mins at night. And I worked up to it, stopping each exercise if it began to hurt.

Worth trying - it's not a major investment, and I saw some improvement in under a week. The important part is strengthening the muscles that work the joint, not bodybuilding!

are you also feeling very tired all the time, if so ask your doctor to check you for haemachromatosis. Achey joints are a major indicator for this and it usually goes undiagnosed until you are middle aged and getting checked for something else

u38cg":3lo5rks2 said:
The two things many people (and no idea if this applies to you, obviously) can do is (a) build strength and (b) lose weight. A lot of knee issues are caused by the fact they are weakened by modern, undemanding lifestyles....
The third is to get into a regular routine of stretching.
When I did my back the (excellent) physio demonstrated to me how little flex my legs had. I was surprised as I have a physical job that quite literally involves me holding on with my toes sometimes and I've never had to try to be in shape. (Last year or so providing the exception to the rule.) But he was right. I don't always practice it as much as I should :oops: but I always feel better for it when I do.
I started running for the first time a few weeks ago since I ran for my school as a kid. I thought I was going to die. By the third run I didn't have to wait two days before I could walk again. Just starting out again and my only point is to muse on the bodies capacity to mend itself if you help it. And God knows I'm not lecturing. Really.
Your case is not my case of course. I'd be seeking advice from a reliable professional recommended source first. Good luck. Feel your pain.
Talk to a professional then foster a plan that suits you. Not sure relying on supplements is the way to go.
Without knowing more about your circumstances it's difficult for anyone to help I'd hazard a guess.
Good luck! All the best.
Really don't mean to sound trite or patronising. Sorry if this comes across as such.
Chris

Bm101":h6k3ga1r said:
I started running for the first time a few weeks ago since I ran for my school as a kid. I thought I was going to die. By the third run I didn't have to wait two days before I could walk again. Just starting out again and my only point is to muse on the bodies capacity to mend itself if you help it. And God knows I'm not lecturing. Really.

Yeah, I did that too and I was getting pretty good at it... Now I've been down for three weeks with tendonitis in the knee, hobbling around every day like some kind of cripple :lol:

“If it’s endurable, then endure it. Stop complaining. If it’s unendurable … then stop complaining." - Marcus Aurelius

Go to a doctor.
Everything else is a personal experience or opinion that may or may not apply to you. You might need an MRI scan to decide if the problem is deep inside the knee or elsewhere.

I have major circulation problems in both legs, caused by varicose veins. I have had two separate operations 20 years apart to remove them but still suffer every day. Crossing the legs as per Chris causes the major vein in the upper ankle to be squashed by the lower ankle, causing problems in whichever leg the upper ankle is connected to.
The doctor can advise on the need for medical compression socks that will help.
Whats known as "flight socks" are basically grade 1 compression, in a range of three compression values. These may give relief while waiting on an expert opinion. I have worn grade 2 for the last 15 years.

As far as pain relief, Ibuprofin works well. Here in Cyprus we can buy 600mg nurofen (ibuprofin) over the counter (known in our household as a Pink Bomb). I sometimes take one at bedtime to help give a good nights sleep. I'm waiting on an arthroscopy operation at the moment which I am hoping will reduce the pain from the left knee.
repeat, other peoples pain is not your pain, go to a doctor.

I like that quote Trevanion.
Glad you are suffering too lol.
:wink:
Running shoes will change your life. Northern Emily over t'road is a marathon runner. Her cousin is a sponsored runner or 'summat'. Gave me a top pair of asics for free. Only half a size too small. They will fit! I said in a princessy tone.
My mind was blown.
Just wow.

Bm101":z315swpk said:
I like that quote Trevanion.

"Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, If I cannot exercise the body I may as well be exercising the mind! :wink:

I do need to pick up a decent pair of trainers once this recovers eventually (Not too easy when your job involves a lot of moving from A to B with a heavy bit of wood usually) since I did my running in flat-soled shoes with absolutely no cushioning whatsoever on pretty rugged terrain, I may as well have been running barefooted really.

sunnybob":3gfpqtdf said:
Go to a doctor

My doctor just started asking me what I expected at my age? Gave up seeing that quack a long time ago.

We've now got video appointments with the new lot. It beggars belief!

I'm sorry to say I have had many dealings with GP "doctors" in my life. They have without fail greatly disappointed me. I truly believe they are only there to keep people out of the hospitals.

Find a REAL doctor, that means someone who people are paying good money to go and see. I have had life saving treatment from a chiropractor (when GP's got the right hump if you said youd been to one, and after 3 separate GP's had told me to get used to living in a wheel chair), my wife similar excellent service from an osteopath (also considered a quack untill quite recently).

I have to give Cyprus much credit for their amazing health care, at 71 I am now waiting for an arthroscopy soon to be performed by a private surgeon who is being paid by the government to operate on me in a private clinic. Its going to cost me....... a tenner =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

lastminute":2shy53zf said:
I suffer daily from this, and have tried various 'recommended cures'.
Spotted a recurring ad praising Tumeric Curcumin...anyone tried it..have you had any success with other medication?

Gerry

My wife swears by Glucosamine Turmeric.

As someone who has spent a large proportion of my life in Wellingtons, i find wearing a good pair of boots helps a lot.
Russell

I sympathise with the experiences people have had with 'bad GPs'. I've had my fair share of useless GP interactions. But I now have a wonderful GP.

I would suggest a good physio therapist. They will - roughly - diagnose whether it's something that they can help with, or whether it needs a Dr, MRIs, etc.

I can highly recommend Nuffield health in Brentwood, but I don't know how accessible that is to you.

If you can afford it, private clinic diagnosis is excellent, but it's really expensive due to the scans. The consultations are usually more reasonably priced.

Forget all that turmeric nonsense.
Try some stretching techniques, especially the quads, and there is some evidence that Glucosamine tablets can be good for joints .. I don't know how solid the science is behind that though...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Alder":3qr88df5 said:
As someone who has spent a large proportion of my life in Wellingtons, i find wearing a good pair of boots helps a lot.
Russell
I'll second that about boots. I walk the dog for a few miles everyday, have tried various shoes and boots over the 7 ½ years we have had the dog. The year before last I tried a pair of Altberg boots, well beyond my previous price range, my feet and knees have not been happier in many years.

Another thing, my GP's main advice after diagnosing early stages of osteoarthritis in my knees, was to keep them moving, i.e. the way to keep joints moving is, to keep them moving, so they don't seize up and recent research suggests moderate impact, such as running or walking, helps to stimulate the natural cartilage repair process and prolong the life of the joint. Unfortunately my fingers and right wrist are going the same way...

I've been through the routines with knees, ranging from torn tendons and cartilage in my 30s to total knee replacement surgery in both knees in my 70s. They both now work extremely well and pain free, whereas I was pretty crippled with osteoarthritis before the surgery.

But it is as well to defer it as long as possible, since the prosthetic replacements don't last for ever - 25 years say - and the way to go is, as has been said, physiotherapy to start with. PTs really know how the body is put together. The first one that I had allowed me to defer any surgery for 20 odd years but then the successor PT finally said that surgery was the only option and got me referred to an orthopaedic surgeon, eventually having both knees replaced. After the surgery, the PT was critical in the healing and recovery process.

In many areas you can now self-refer for physiotherapy on the NHS, or it should be straightforward to get referred by your GP. The private hospitals also have good people if you think you are getting better treatment if you pay. However, places do vary in the provision of PT, and my area (South Warwickshire NHS Trust) is particularly good.

I wouldn't trust any woo-woo stuff read on the internet, though turmeric is a very acceptable spice in cooking.

Latest posts

Back