Kity planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me any information on the Kity 636 planer thicknesser such as bed size Table size WxD I have just bought one on E-bay but wondered how long the tables are.

The 636 is the same as the 637 only with an even worse fence :) !
It will do 10" x 6", and, if you can get it set up right, it is a grand little machine. How much did you pay?

The downsides of this machine are the difficulty in setting the blades (there are no lifters), and the fact that you have to lower the bed ALL the way to flip the chip-chute between planing and thicknessing.

And did I mention the fence? Short and The Magician's Angle (pick an angle, any angle will do).

I had one for 10 years until a cupboard-full of screws and nails fell down and landed on it. I wanted it setting up again, but the insurance co just wrote it off and sent me a 637. Great, thinks I. It was rubbish, and eventually (long story, co the retailer went bust the following week) Stayer UK did a superb job in getting it fixed by a local engineer. 16 hours work @£35/h = No Profit on that sale, methinks. It now needs setting up again, and, with the greatest regret (as I liked my previous one, despite the rubbish fence) I wish I had been given the dosh and bought somethig else. Newbie_Neil's jet one looks the biz, good long tables, just a bit narrow at 8", I think - or is it 6"? And you need aseparate thiknesser, but on the other hand you don't have all the fannying about.

Best of luck with it, it can be tamed into being quite a decent little machine.

Cheers
Steve

If its the same as the 637 then surface table is 1200mm long, 259x200 thicknessing.

Jason

Yes the bed is 259mm wide but I am not sure how long it is? I hope it is a meter or more but I can't find any info on this model. I paid £162 and the fence is missing by the way but I am sure I can fabricate something to cure this. I already have a thicknesser so wont need this facility. I just needed a good jointer/planer.

Hi Mailee
Sounds like a good deal.
The fence runs on two round bars, IIRC, so should be relatively easy to mackle up a replacement.
Keep the chain lubricated with WD40 for a quieter rise and fall.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. I haven't had much to do with Kity before as my last thicknesser was an Electra Beckum. I too thought I had a good deal but I must travel a long way for it yet, it is in Watford and I am in Humberside. Still worth it for the bargain. :D I also notice someone is selling blades for them on e-bay quite cheap.

Hi Steve

Steve Maskery":32fwzenn said:
Newbie_Neil's jet one looks the biz, good long tables, just a bit narrow at 8", I think - or is it 6"? And you need a separate thicknesser, but on the other hand you don't have all the fannying about.

In the middle of November, Jet will have available their planer/thicknesser. It is a combined machine that, they say, you can change from planing to thicknessing single-handed. I'm just thinking of those cast iron beds!

Cheers
Neil

I get the blades for my Kity Here, they are much better than the kity ones, sharper, smoother ground and seem to keep their edge much longer. Thats the disposable ones, not used the HSS resharpenables.

They have a good knowledge of Kity as the guy used to be the importer.

Jason

Newbie_Neil":3nbvwfi4 said:
In the middle of November, Jet will have available their planer/thicknesser. It is a combined machine that, they say, you can change from planing to thicknessing single-handed. I'm just thinking of those cast iron beds!
You're not the only one. The Maxi's been getting more nasty looks than usual just recently... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

No, there's no chance, John. 'Specially now I've got all these lovely spare planer blades for it from Freetochat. :D

Cheers, Alf

Back