Kity k5 (i think šŸ˜)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyHolland

Reaction score
Hi.
1st post, newish to woodworking, new to kity, and a female,( only asking for you to kind on 1st 3 šŸ™ˆ).

Ok I have bought a kity k5
-Circular Saw 617
-Planer 636
- Spindle molder 627
Mortiser 652. That needs refurbishment, and I need to learn everything about. So will have absolutely loads of questions. But are really excited šŸ˜.
I have done lots of research, and been reading lots of posts and gaining lots of knowledge šŸ‘.

But my question today is re the 617 saw.
I have bought new belts all round; to ensure correct size, but the sea belt is much too loose. I'm wondering if the saw is not in the correct place in the table. ( I'll attach pics). Everything was already positioned the table.
I'm confused......

Ps I'm also very dyslexic so please forgive spelling and grammar.
So woodworking is perfectšŸ‘

All replying will be kindly excepted.
Sammy 16029339373641500799340969753272.jpg16029339850142570567837956889334.jpg

Hi Sammy
It's not a K5 but that isn't bad news as it's one of the slightly larger 704 series combinations, exactly which depends on which machines in total were chosen but with those 4 machines, (5 functions) it would seem to be a decent buy if in reasonable condition, did you get any tooling with it btw?

I'll send you a pm with my email address and if you drop me a message I'll send you the information I have which I'm sure you'll find interesting.

You should be able to adjust the saw on the table to tighten the belt if you'r certain it's the correct size, usually just a few bolts.

cheers
Bob

The belt to the saw should have a twist in it.
Without the twist the belt will be to long and the blade will run in the wrong direction.

Hi Sammy
It's not a K5 but that isn't bad news as it's one of the slightly larger 704 series combinations, exactly which depends on which machines in total were chosen but with those 4 machines, (5 functions) it would seem to be a decent buy if in reasonable condition, did you get any tooling with it btw?

I'll send you a pm with my email address and if you drop me a message I'll send you the information I have which I'm sure you'll find interesting.

You should be able to adjust the saw on the table to tighten the belt if you'r certain it's the correct size, usually just a few bolts.

cheers
Bob
Hi Bob I got the email with all the info. Brilliant, thx you. I will start at the beginning, and I sure I will have loads of questions along the way :)

Yes it came with lots of bits/ tooling of goodness knows. Haha

The belt to the saw should have a twist in it.
Without the twist the belt will be to long and the blade will run in the wrong direction.

Hi powertools.
thx you for taking the time to reply to my message.
Yes i think it probably needs a twist. But even then, which pully i put the belt on, its either too big or too small.
I know one pully is for the spindle molder and one for the saw. I hoping the info from Bob will help answer which is which. Haha

Iā€™m not familiar with that Kity but the K5 has a sliding bed on the motor where one end of the belt is attached to tension the belt. Maybe yours is the same but like I say donā€™t quote me as I have no experience of that machine

I have and I think heronviewer has what I think is the same machine as yours except mine has the smaller planer,
The machine is not a K5 and trying to follow the instructions for a K5 will confuse you further.
On your machine the belt for the table saw should be 1120mm x 220mm the saw can be run at 2 different speeds ie. 3300 and 6200 rpm. The pulley on the motor is steped and is 45mm and 85mm.
If you return to this thread and confirm that you have the correct belt and pulley I will run you through how to set up the saw in relation to the pulley and possible other causes of the problem.
I have owned my machine for almost 40 years now I am retired I use it on an almost daily basis and know it inside out.
It in my opinion a brilliant machine.

I have and I think heronviewer has what I think is the same machine as yours except mine has the smaller planer,
The machine is not a K5 and trying to follow the instructions for a K5 will confuse you further.
On your machine the belt for the table saw should be 1120mm x 220mm the saw can be run at 2 different speeds ie. 3300 and 6200 rpm. The pulley on the motor is steped and is 45mm and 85mm.
If you return to this thread and confirm that you have the correct belt and pulley I will run you through how to set up the saw in relation to the pulley and possible other causes of the problem.
I have owned my machine for almost 40 years now I am retired I use it on an almost daily basis and know it inside out.
I told Sammy It isn't a K5 and I don't have the manual for the 704 series though I sent her the K5 instructions for general for interest only however I do have extensive scans from some original documentation of the 704 machines machines I kept hold of and that's what I sent her along with the instruction manual for the stand alone 617 saw.

Any help you or Robert can offer her will I'm certain be gratefully received and appreciated, I agree it's a pretty decent machine and as I said in a thread some time ago we sold loads into small joinery workshops.

Hi powertools

Wow 40 years!!!!!! You have probably forgot more, than I know!!!!!:) I genuinely appreciate your time and knowledge.
I know the belt i bought is 1120mm x 20mm, but back tomorrow after I've checked the stepped size.

So happy I bought such a loyal machine. Sounds like my time de-rusting and oiling is going to be well worth it.
I'll get some pics of the table and other machines.

Sammy

Hi powertools

Sorry just replying been a crazy few days.

So I have taken a few photos that ill attach.

If I have measured correct then yes the motor steps are 45mm and 85mm see pics.
So looks like I have the same machine as you;), so any info / support you are able/ have time to offer will be very gratefully received.

I have also been offered manuals form heronviewer so that will be a great help. (y)

Hope the pics make sense.

Regards
Sammy

20201019_174110 (1).jpg20201019_173615.jpg20201019_173757.jpg20201019_193147.jpg20201021_191719.jpg20201019_173019.jpg20201019_172932.jpg
20201019_174110 (1).jpg
20201019_173615.jpg
20201019_173757.jpg
20201019_193147.jpg
20201021_191719.jpg
20201019_173019.jpg
20201019_172932.jpg

Getting the manuals from heronveiwer will be a great help you have the makings of a great little machine there but everything needs to be set up properly to get the best from it,
Getting back to the table saw belt it seems you have the correct size belt and pulley and you understand that the belt needs to have a 180deg twist in it run in a figure of 8 but you have to twist it the right way or the blade will run in the wrong direction so there can only be 2 more things to check.
If you stand at the end of the machine with the table saw in front of you if you look into the space at the bottom of the saw you will see 3 wing nuts these are to set the position of the saw to set it at the speed you want I always run mine a slow speed so to do this with the belt off loosen the wing nuts and pull the whole saw towards you and to the left as far as it will go and retighten the wing nuts. If you want the fast speed push the whole saw towards the motor and to the right.
Once that is sorted the final belt adjustment is via 4 nuts and bolts that are located just inside the ends of the brackets that hold the sliding table runners to the saw they run in elongated slots loosen all 4 and with the belt on pull the saw towards you untill the belt is tight then remove the belt and pull the saw a little bit more to give it tension.
Hope the above has helped you sort out the issue is easy enough to do but hard to explain if I can help further just come back to me.

Last edited:
Getting the manuals from heronveiwer will be a great help you have the makings of a great little machine there but everything needs to be set up properly to get the best from it,
Getting back to the table saw belt it seems you have the correct size belt and pulley and you understand that the belt needs to have a 180deg twist in it run in a figure of 8 but you have to twist it the right way or the blade will run in the wrong direction so there can only be 2 more things to check.
If you stand at the end of the machine with the table saw in front of you if you look into the space at the bottom of the saw you will see 3 wing nuts these are to set the position of the saw to set it at the speed you want I always run mine a slow speed so to do this with the belt off loosen the wing nuts and pull the whole saw towards you and to the left as far as it will go and retighten the wing nuts. If you want the fast speed push the whole saw towards the motor and to the right.
Once that is sorted the final belt adjustment is via 4 nuts and bolts that are located just inside the ends of the brackets that hold the sliding table runners to the saw they run in elongated slots loosen all 4 and with the belt on pull the saw towards you untill the belt is tight then remove the belt and pull the saw a little bit more to give it tension.
Hope the above has helped you sort out the issue is easy enough to do but hard to explain if I can help further just come back to me.

You know what ill be up to tomorrow (Saturday) (y).

Dear powertools

YESSSSSSS you instructions were absolutely perfect, and spot on. šŸ‘šŸ‘.
Once I'd managed to work out, that the base-plate had been fitted to the table, with a nut and bolt that prevented the saw moving to the posision you explained. šŸ¤Ŗ

So I've had the saw running and cutting.... the fence needs a bit of work, so that's next job.

I've got/ are getting the manuals form heronviewer šŸ˜.

I'm slowly getting there.
Sammy

That's good news thanks for coming back to the thread to let us know.
Your machine looks to be in reasonable condition and I hope that you get as much satisfaction and enjoyment from it over the coming years as I had from mine over the years.

Just to add a photo of my machine as you can see it is almost the same of yours but you have the larger planer than mine.

IMG_20200428_124807.jpg
IMG_20200428_124807.jpg
IMG_20200428_124807.jpg

Last edited:
Any one can put me right on this I have a Kitty 617 which pulley does the belt run on itā€™s a stand alone machine

Back