Kity K5 Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmee54

Reaction score
Hi, I am a newbie with a Kity K5.

A few questions if you don't mind.

It has a spindle sander fitted to the spindle moulder. Is this a standard part? If yes, where do I get belts? If not where is a good source for belts or how do I make them?

I have some spindle moulder bits, but read 30mm ones are a better bet. Can someone draw me a diagram of "top hat" bushes with sizes, so I can get some made?

Is it possible to fit an adaptor to the morticer to enable the use of chisel morticing bits?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers John.

jmee54":1ojc972b said:
Hi, I am a newbie with a Kity K5.

A few questions if you don't mind.

It has a spindle sander fitted to the spindle moulder. Is this a standard part? If yes, where do I get belts? If not where is a good source for belts or how do I make them?

I have some spindle moulder bits, but read 30mm ones are a better bet. Can someone draw me a diagram of "top hat" bushes with sizes, so I can get some made?

Is it possible to fit an adaptor to the morticer to enable the use of chisel morticing bits?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers John.

Hi John

Which model do you have? The original had splayed legs followed by straight legs in beige colour. last befor the bestcombi was red and green.
I have a manual in pdf format along with the accessories list at the time if of any help to you, just pm me with your email address.

Sander: I asume you mean a bobbin sander which was an accessory. I have one and the correct size belts were available from screwfix at one stage but don't know now. I find it to be too small to be of much use tbh
Might be possible to glue up your own belts with a bit of thought, I know there are instructions around for making belt sander belts and it's the same principle.

Moulder bits: Presumably you mean french head cutters? these will be dictated by the size of the moulder shaft slot. You can buy a moulder block probably around 70mm dia.
Top hat bushes: I've seen them on ebay

Mortice bits: These were available as a set basically like a coarse spiral drill bit and work pretty well. NOTE that they are opposite cut to a normal bit as the chuck turns in the same rotation as the planer block.

Hope that helps

Bob

If you do up the 20mm spindle tooling to 30mm you will need a very small block as once you fit knives into the block the overall dia will be quite large and may not fot the table opening or hood. These are tophats, you would need the OD 30mm and the ID to fit the spindle (20mm I assume)

http://www.whitehill-tools.com/catalogu ... 4&c2id=115

No you can't fit hollow chisel bits to the morticer. As said you need L/H cutting bits, these should still be available as they fit the current Combi2000, have a word with NMA

http://nmatools.co.uk/

J

Thanks guys, mine is the straight legged beige machine. I will try NMA tools, I hadn't found them.
I think I have the manuals, they came with the machine. I'm glad you said the rotation is in reverse, I didn't realise that and having no attached the belt to that yet I would have been scratching my head! As I said I'm new to this!

jmee54":35lhn74l said:
Thanks guys, mine is the straight legged beige machine. I will try NMA tools, I hadn't found them.
I think I have the manuals, they came with the machine. I'm glad you said the rotation is in reverse, I didn't realise that and having no attached the belt to that yet I would have been scratching my head! As I said I'm new to this!

A good 25 year old machine then. Mine is the same model bought in 1987 and Kity changed colours and name a couple of years later. Great little machione given it's limitations and mine gets hauled out regularly when I need some quick cuts as I have to keep my large machines covered up most of the time. The morticer is dead simple to use. BTW You're lucky to get a 5 function machine as most were sold without the mortice attachment.

If it hasn't been used for a while it would be worth giving it a really good clean and grease up before you use it as most parts are now unobtainable.

Have fun with it but I suggest you read the manual carefully as well as any books or web info you can find on safe operation of the various general functions, ( not just K5 related ). It might be a small machine but it's very definately capable of cutting your digits off if you are careless.

cheers

Bob

Back