Kity band saw guide blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Hi, my kity k5 (513) has wood blade guides not bearings, these are just about shot.
I have some Delron a hard nylon/plastic, used a lot in bushes.
Do you think this would be ok to replace the wood guides.
Or would a change/upgrade to ball bearing guides be a better choice in the long term, if so, any recomendation s forgot upgrades, cheers.

I think Delrin would be fine as some band saws use metal guides, although I think I'd stick to wood and make some lignum vitae guides end grain to the blade.

I think Delrin would be fine as some band saws use metal guides, although I think I'd stick to wood and make some lignum vitae guides end grain to the blade.
I agree, but not got any LV or likely to come across some soon.

Hi Sachakins
Delrin or any of the other thermoplastics are no good at all for bandsaw guides as it's too soft and the blade generates heat which will deform or even melt it. I used to sell the stuff from my branch so don't waste your time.
Any dense hardwood will be 100% better than plastic and Lig Vi is easy enough to get if you want it, several of the sellers of pen blanks stock it and you can buy a bit roughly 20 x 20 x 150mm for £3 or £4, or look on facebook for an old wood bowling ball. Try Vince at Home | The Turners Workshop for example, he doesn't list lig vi on his website but has had stock every time I've been in to see him.
Failing that, aluminium would be a makedo or ask some local engineering shops if they have offcuts of SRBP (Tufnell), could bossibly get a sample foc if you google.

PM me if you get stuck though it would be about 3 weeks before I could send you some bits as I'll be away for my workshop.
Bob

Last edited:
Hi, i have a 613 and made oak blocks. I haven't used it much so cant comment on longevity. I bought a set of aftermarket roller guides, which dont quite fit. They looked to be about right, but in reality the sit too far forward. I must look at that again soon! Mine came from bedford tool supplies

LV on mine too. See no reason to change to bearings or anything else

Mark

Back