Kity 636 planer thicknesser - do I want to buy 2nd hand?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Someone is selling a used 636 Kity planer thicknesser on ebay. What goes wrong with these? Do they tend to stay true (square)?

Are they a two or three blade machine?

Are the blades HSS or TCT?

Does any one own the axminster AW 106PT planer thicknesser? How do you think the two compare?

Many thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.

Nick

Hi Nick

Welcome to UKW, glad to have you onboard.

I'm sorry that I can't hep with your questions, but I'm sure that someone will be along soon.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Nick

I don't own a 636 but I've had a 439 (two blade HSS) for a number of years and it's never let me down.

Gill

nicksmith":1zqng0rw said:
Someone is selling a used 636 Kity planer thicknesser on ebay. What goes wrong with these? Do they tend to stay true (square)?
Hi Nick and welcome to UKWorkshop

The 636 is a two knife machine (most small machines are) and the standard blades are tool steel, with TCT blades available as optional extras. There's no need to get OEM blades, though, as many saw sharpening service/woodworking machinery dealers offer replacement blades - the TCTs cost an arm and a leg. One thing though, if the machine hasn't got a blade setting jig you'll need one - my Kity (years back) had an aluminium cutterblock so the magnetic setting jigs won't work on this machine - Kity used to make their own cast metal jig.

Scrit

Please be aware that the only spares for that machine that are available are the blades and the drive belt.

Many thanks for all your responses and to the people that take the trouble to run what is a most useful and friendly site.
Nick :D

Back