Kity 619 Blade Diameter Query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ossieosborne

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought an older model of the Kity 1619. It is slightly aesthetically challenged but works just fine. The previous owner (from this forum) reinstated the riving knife and crown guard with genuine Kity parts and fitted a new 10” blade from Axi.

Now comes the problem:

With the blade wound down to its’ lowest level (zero indicated on the side of the machine), the blade TDC is actually about 10mm below the level of the table top. With the blade wound fully up (87mm indicated), the blade TDC is only 77mm above the top of the table.

“Haha.” you say, “The blade is the wrong diameter”. Congratulations, you win a coconut. But what diameter should it be?

The riving knife says “250mm max” and is 2.5mm thick. I’m not sure that this is the correct one as the current advertised spec for the saw gives a blade diameter of 280mm (90mm depth of cut).

With the 250mm blade fitted, there is about 11mm clearance between the blade tips and the side of the bracket that holds the riving knife in place.

I want to buy a good quality replacement blade for crosscutting and would like to fit the largest diameter possible, so I need to get this dimension correct. I suspect that a 270mm blade is the maximum that I can fit due to the limitations of riving knife bracket. I might be able to grind some off the side of it to increase the gap.

Questions:

Does anyone know if the older models of the Kity 619 were only fitted with a 250mm blade?

If not, was it always a 280mm blade?

Thank you.

Oz

Hi
I have the exact same table saw purchased from new about 10 or so years ago and the blade which came with it is a 270mm rip blade which i still use, sharpened several times. Hope it helps.
Arfon.

Thanks for that Arfon.

With the dimensions in my original post (10mm below the table and a max of 77mm above the table) a 270mm blade would be just about spot on.

Oz

Hi Oz

I'm pretty sure that John is right.

I have the basic specs for 0618 ( mid 1980s) which I believe was the previous model. i don't think the basic size cahnged much. you can check the following against yours:

Table size 520 x 680 or extended 920 x 680
Max depth of cut 95mm
max blade dia 270 x 30
speed 4100 rpm
Motor 1.5 kw / 2 hp

cheers
Bob

Bob

Thanks for your reply.

I’ll measure the table tomorrow and have a look at the motor (power). I think the max depth of cut at 95mm might be a bit optimistic. Mine will only go up to a maximum of 87mm indicated on the side of the machine. Perhaps there is something preventing the mechanism from raising the motor to its’ full height, as there are further mm markings beyond the 87mm. I shall investigate.

Oz

ossieosborne":38eaeagn said:
Bob

Thanks for your reply.

I’ll measure the table tomorrow and have a look at the motor (power). I think the max depth of cut at 95mm might be a bit optimistic. Mine will only go up to a maximum of 87mm indicated on the side of the machine. Perhaps there is something preventing the mechanism from raising the motor to its’ full height, as there are further mm markings beyond the 87mm. I shall investigate.

Oz

That surprises me a bit Oz as it's unlikely that Kity would have reduced the capacity especially with the same 270mm blade. I don't remember the table being thicker or mechanism changing substantially but doesn't mean it wasn't of course.

The specs I quoted are off an original Kity price list, late 80s - don't ask why I keep such things :oops: it lists a few of the options but doesn't tell a lot more. happy to scan it if of interest though.

cheers

bob

Bob

Thanks very much for the offer, but I think i'll pass. I keep enough cr*p as it is (according to LOML). :roll:

The spec for the current machine has a 280mm blade, but it only has a max cut of 90mm. Maybe they've upped the thickness of the table.

Anyway, i'll have a closer look at mine tomorrow and see if it is getting stuck on something.

Oz

ossieosborne":363ky53v said:
Bob Thanks very much for the offer, but I think i'll pass. I keep enough cr*p as it is (according to LOML). :roll: Oz

:lol: :lol: Don't blame you! my wife has admitted defeat and doesn't comment these days. does roll her eyes and mutters under her breath though :lol: :lol:

I wondered if it might be a misprint but found another list (1989) which gives the same spec. so as you say, must have changed it.

Its worth stripping partially anyway to clear out the gunge and dust. An airline comes into its own for that.

Bob

cant get a 270 or 280 blade from the factory I use.

nearest would be 260 mm but that has 2.6 kerf/1.8 mm plate which is too thin for your riving knife.
And they wont be avialble until early June!

Looks like I’ll be limited to 87mm depth of cut (approx) as the carriage, containing the saw motor, is just about hitting the underside of the table. Oh well, c’est la guerre. It’s still much better than my obsolescent (soon to be for sale) Eumenia RAS at about 50mm.

Wealden have a 270mm blade with 3.1mm kerf and 72 teeth advertised on their site, so I’ll give them a ring to find out what the blade thickness is.

WH have an Atkinson Walker blade that seems to fit the bill, but they want an arm & a leg½ for it and that, as a hobbyist, I can’t really justify.

Hats off to all who have replied; Thanks to Doug at Cutting Solutions for his efforts to track down a blade for me plus his help and advice.

Oz

Update on the blade situation:

I phoned Wealden Technical yesterday with reference to the plate thickness of the 270mm x 3.1mm kerf blades. The guy didn't know off the top of his head, but he went and got one from stock and measured it (roughly 2.25mm). Result!

I was so happy, I ordered 2 blades; A 72 teeth crosscut (Wealden brand) and a 28 teeth rip (Schumacher brand) all for £103.00 (p & p incl). They arrived this morning about 11am. Excellent service.

Have just been out to try them for size - like the proverbial glove. I now have 89mm depth of cut.

I just need to re-shape the inside arc of the riving knife to fit the larger blades' profile and the job's a good'un.

Once again, thanks to all who've help me get this sorted.

Oz

Latest posts

Back