Kity 618 jammed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterw3035

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently acquired a Kity 618 table saw that's been out of use for years. Both the rise & fall and the tilt mechanisms were totally jammed up with saw dust & debris. I've manged to free up to rise and fall but I'm struggling with the tilt. I can't see how to remove the black & orange handles to get better access to the curved cog track that's the source of the problem.
The central nut releases but both black & orange handles are tight on the shaft.
IMG_20220316_100454.jpg
IMG_20220316_100502.jpg
IMG_20220316_100515.jpg
There is an allen key grub screw with a lock nut but and can't see how this would help remove the handles.
IMG_20220316_100601.jpg
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Looks like a press fit, they may fit onto a spindle. I would suggest some plusgas or loosening agent and leave for a bit and then apply a bearing puller or some gentle force. Hard to tell if they are plastic or alloy.
In my experience a hot airgun is usefull to just give enough heat to loosen things up but it does strip paint and melt plastic....

I have a Kity 618 at home in my garage workshop, but it's been many a year since I had it all apart......I'll take a look at those handles this evening when I get home and see if I can shed any light on the subject for you.

Thinking about it now,....I dont remember ever having to use a puller on them to get them off but there is a Woodruff Key on the shaft so they do pull forward off the key to remove the handles.....

Also, if I remember correctly, there is a bolt on the opposite back side of the saw that also supports the tilt mechanism and if it's too tight, it may also be causing the tilt to be restricted....??

Where abouts is this Allen key grub screw you're referring to....? I dont recollect that on my saw either....

Last edited:
Thanks @Corset and @Distinterior The manual does seem to show a straight shaft, I have loosened the bolt on the opposite side of the tilt mechanism but it's the handle side that seems to be the issue. The Allen key grub screw is on the inside of the casing, third photo next to the curved track. A straight pull does make sense, just need to borrow a puller from somewhere and give that a try.

I think the nut with the Allen grub screw is what holds the shaft in place.....I dont think you need to remove them to take the handles off.
As I said, I'll take a look at my saw this evening and remove the handles & ill take a couple of pictures so you can see what to expect. 👍

I think the nut with the Allen grub screw is what holds the shaft in place.....I dont think you need to remove them to take the handles off.
As I said, I'll take a look at my saw this evening and remove the handles & ill take a couple of pictures so you can see what to expect. 👍
I'm sure you're right, it's there to hold the cogged end of the horizontal shaft onto the vertical riser.

Hi Peter,

I've just taken the front handle off my saw and it locates on a slotted Spring Pin that passes through the centre of the shaft, as you can see in my pictures below.....It just pulls straight off once the nut & washer are removed.

20220316_181829.jpg
20220316_181933.jpg
20220316_181902.jpg

The front Black handle has a corresponding slot in it that locates over the Spring Pin and it's this that locks the Black handle to the shaft.
Once you've removed the Black handle, you will need to remove the Spring Pin and the Orange handle should just pull off.
Just try a couple of opposing levers on the left & right hand sides and it should just pop off.

The jamming was resolved by borrowing a puller that was able to pull off the outer black wheel which had seized onto the shaft. Frustratingly after some slightly heavier use recently the rise and fall has jammed again. I'm sure the lack of dust extraction has caused a build up of dust around the rise & fall cogs. I think I'm close to accepting that the saw needs further improvement but is realistically too big for my small workshop. Before I get some photos & details together to sell it, I wonder if anyone be interested in taking it on?

I had a similar experience with my 618 saw when I first acquired it.....The adjustments were really tight & gummed up. I completely disassembled the whole saw and cleaned out all the compacted sawdust and grease/oil that a previous owner had applied to the rise & fall and tilting threads.

That was a few years ago now, but the saw is still working fine ever since.
Needless to say, I didnt reapply any grease or oil when I put it all back together.

You state its " lack of dust extraction "....??.....There is a dust extraction shroud and outlet on my 618...🤔🤔
Admittedly, it's not the most efficient dust extraction design I've ever come across, but I'd say it does capture 90% of the sawdust when connected to my HVLP dust/ chip extractor.

Latest posts

Back