Kity 613 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timd157

Reaction score
My old faithful Kity 613 bandsaw is ill. I have had it since 1989 and it has never let me down until now.
It fell over and smashed the on /off switch which is a NVR with a round two pin plug socket (standard to Kity) I have put all the pieces back together and the switch will operate the machine but the NVR will not latch on. If I keep my finger on the switch the saw operates but that's not very practical. I have looked on-line for a replacement but cant find one. I saw a post about a Kity 619 suggesting that a Charnwood switch may work. I also have Kity Best-Combi and it has the same switch so I assume any kity switch would do.
Any ideas please about replacing my switch or of any other switch I could use.
Timd

Thanks for that, I’ve had a look at them and their switches all have four pins ( two in/two out). My switch has two in from mains and three out to motor. Not counting the earth wires. I’ve seen some on eBay from China that have five pins but there is no diagram to define them. Any idea please?

Usually a diagram on the switch. The 5th pin is the operating coil return to the over temperature sensor in the motor. Not rocket science.

Thanks, sorry I'm not a rocket scientist, just a simple woodworker. Can you offer any more info please to help me get my head round it?

Thanks for your help, I’ve sent for one and it seems simple to fit (not r s!!!) let you know if it blows up on Nov 5th..
Timd

There is something silly about the wiring of the kity 613 motor / NVR switch.
I stripped and rebuilt one a while back, and noticed the oddball 3 wire connection in the NVR switch.
There isn't any temperature sensor in the motor. For some reason, they drag an extra wire back to the NVR switch and make a permanent connection inside it that could just as easily be made at the motor end. I think from memory that it may be just a connection for the motor capacitor and the only excuse I could see is that the terminal box on the motor is tiny or to allow testing from a point that is easy to access.
In any case, I wanted to reposition the switch and decided it was easier to make a new switch box with a replacementNVR switch (Axminster but a generic thing made by Kedu) than to mess with the old one. If you understand what and how a NVR switch and a permanent split capacitor motor work, just rewire it, there's nothing clever going on.

Latest posts

Back