Kity 613 Bandsaw Upper Guide Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try to get them more like this ...
20200507_211603.jpg

I'm no expert either and i'm sure the experienced bandsaw chaps will point out my mistakes, but this will get you in the ballpark.
The blade is a bit too far forward of the guide but has about 1mm of movement backwards before the rear bearing stops it. At full backwards, the guides need to be clear of the set of the teeth.
Some sources make a valuable point that a bandsaw setup properly will cut straight even with no guides at all. I took that to heart and so my ideal is to see the guides start to spin as little as possible in use.

Attachments

• 20200507_211603.jpg
    20200507_211603.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 44
Perfect thank you. I've just been out in the garage and adjusted so it's much more like your photos. Piece of paper just slots in between blade and rollers.

Hopefully with a new blade too it'll cut far straighter than it was doing before.

Interesting thread, thanks all. I have the 613 with wooden blocks and a rear thrust bearing and I’ve wanted to upgrade to side bearings for a while, as the wood (LV) wears fairly quickly and I then get movement in the blade. I’m not convinced the brackets holding them are working well enough either.

Would I be able to buy the same bearings as depicted in the last post and put them straight on? If not, I presume that there are no easy to swap arrays which include side and thrust bearings which are available anywhere?

Hi Noggsy,

I've not researched this but going to say no. I think there are some differences with the upper guide and think you'd need a complete assembly which isn't economically viable.

Screenshot_20200508_180624_com.android.chrome.jpg

You might have more joy in trying to get an Axminster aftermarket set to fit if you're handy.

Thanks,
James

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200508_180624_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200508_180624_com.android.chrome.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Jeli. I am pretty handy, but I’m not massively keen on drilling a machine that works well, in case I make it worse :roll: It cost me very little and owes me nothing and I suppose I just need to fettle the existing blocks and see if I can make the mechanism work more effectively. Thanks for your reply.

I have read about someone that used both types of guides and they didn't notice any improvement between cool blocks or rollers.

Mine still has the blocks for the lower guide.

Back