Kity 419 tablesaw tilt mechanism.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a request from a forum member to make a new handwheel for a Kity 419. He's sent me the knackered wheel:
KityWheel2.JPG

and a pic of the spindle which it fits:

KitySpindle2.JPG

Because he had the machine second-hand complete with badgered wheel he can't be sure about how it's meant to work. It seems that the handle is bored 12mm to fit the bit on the end of the spindle, and it's secured on that by grub screws - it looks from the second pic that the screws are misplaced and have bitten into the recess (does that have a function?) which can't be right. It's clear that a previous owner has tried to fix the wheel (hence that weird brass bit) but with limited success.

I'm assuming that the recess in the handle bore is there to accommodate the return spring and is necessary. If any kind soul with a working mechanism can help out with more info I'd be grateful. From what I've read failure of the handwheel gear is a common problem with an otherwise solid machine. When it's sorted I'll post a WIP with dimensions if there is any interest.

Bob.

Attachments

• KityWheel2.JPG
    KityWheel2.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 297
  • KitySpindle2.JPG
    KitySpindle2.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 313
Bob, the pictures aren’t too clear, but working out from the machine there should a be a narrowed section of spindle then lengthwise slots. In use pushing the handle in places the grubscrews in the narrowed section of shaft and the teeth on the knob engage the rack to tilt the blade. Allowing the spring to push the knob out causes the grub screws to enter the slots and so rotates the shaft to move the blade up and down.

I modified mine by adding a threaded rod across the width of the casing and a traveller linking a nut on the rod to the motor housing. I now have the original knob for height adjustment and a handwheel to control the blade angle. It was a relatively simple modification if you have the tools and makes a real improvement to the machine. I think that I posted pics here when I did it.

Regards,

Colin

Thanks for the explanation Colin, that was exactly what I needed to know. I guess what I took to be bruising on the 12mm 'outboard' end of the spindle is in fact one of the slots in which the grubscrews engage. I had wrongly assumed that the wheel was fixed to the spindle so the whole assembly moved, and there would be a gear on the nether end of the spindle which would mesh with the rise mechanism when the spindle was moved out - so I couldn't understand the function of the recessed bit in the spindle. All is now clear. I'm not impressed by the Kity design though!

Your mod looks excellent, but unfortunately the machine is in Wales and I'm in Derbyshire, so for the time being at least it's a replacement handle.

Thanks for the link to the diagram Bod (and to Dibs-h for the correction -I got a 404 from Bod's link) - useful, I'd searched but not found that myself.
Regards, Bob.

Sorry Bob, you did tell me you'd started a thread, but been away working for the last 2 weeks - if you need I can dismantle the handle on my 419 and take photo's etc as mine is in a pretty good "factory fitted" condition.

I would like to say thank you chaoticbob for my new kity 419 table saw handle it was well made and fitted like a glove .If anyone else is having trouble with the plastic handle on the kity table saw i would highly recommend you message chaoticbob on here and ask him to make a metal one thanks Mock :D :D

Attachments

• kity 419 handle.JPG
    kity 419 handle.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for the (unlooked for) testimonial Mock - just glad it works.
For anyone interested, the gear I used was a commercial 12T MOD 2:
KityWheelRearLowRes.jpg
It was a bit of a gamble, but it seems to have come off.
Bob

Attachments

• KityWheelRearLowRes.jpg
    KityWheelRearLowRes.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 202
Very nice work Bob! It should outlast the saw itself :lol:

I like the idea of putting a standard gear on it, I would've never have thought of that, a very simple work around to some very complex engineering :)

Hi Bob I have the same kity 419 saw and have the same issue with the handle. I was wondering if it was possible for you to make me one aswell. Many thanks Adam

Same for me Bob if you are able to make one let me know how to pay you.

I now have a second example of one of these criminally badly designed handwheels in my workshop, courtesy of Adam. It seems that at some time in the production history of these machines Kity changed between 12 and 13 tooth mod 2 - I'm sure that the one I did for Mock was 12T, and the plastic replacement advertised at 44.99 Euros by PROBOIS looks like 12T too - but the mangled example Adam sent is 13T mod 2 for sure:
KityHandwheel2Small.JPG

It also has been cross drilled 6.5mm at about 82 degrees to the grub screw axis for some reason. If anyone with one of these machines can explain why, I'd be interested.
I wonder how much per unit it would have cost Kity to get it right first time. Less than the cost of replacing a minor, but vital, component engineered to fail in an otherwise desirable machine I suspect.

Harryc - have PM'd, but don't know if you got my message.

Bob.

Back