Kity 419 Modification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow

Reaction score
I have a Kity 419 that has given unfailing service on a very regular basis over the last 6 to 7 years. The only real downside has been the wheel for the blade tilt. Why oh why weren't the teeth made of steel?

This has been replaced once and the second one is now on its last legs as the teeth have again "disappeared", my own fault I know. Sourcing a new one is proving a problem but I notice at least 2 people on the forum have modified the saw in order to provide a separate wheel and mechanism.

Any comments or feedback on this approach would be greatly appreciated as would suggestions for tracking down the fixed extension table for this machine. All in all, I am reluctant to go for another machine as this has been very accurate and is an ideal size for the space available.

Hello Willow,

I can't help you with your question, but welcome to the forum anyway. :wink:

The one that i just sold was modified by welding a linkage, ie, a piece of steel bar with a hole drilled in it, to the carriage at the front of the machine. I then fixed a piece of coarse threaded rod between the two front corners of the machine, but first strengthened the corners with a steel bar up each one on the inside. these two steel bars were drilled to take a flanged bush which acted as a thrust bearing for the threaded rod. The rod was turned down at each end, 1 to pass thru the bushes and create a shoulder to bear against them and 2 to create something to attach a handle to. The coarse thread has a free running nut with another small bit of steel bar welded to the nut with a hole thru. A third bit of steel bar with a hole thru both ends connects the first two and creates a linkage so that when the threaded rod is turned it bears against the bushes and makes the nut move back and forth which pushes or pulls the carriage. Mine was made on a suck it and see basis but was very solid and precise and was easy once i found a place to weld a bracket to the carriage. Maybe if the chap who bought is still on the forum he could provide some pics. Regards Andy

Many thanks for the welcome and the help offered so far. I have some time set aside in a few weeks for some workshop improvements eg new roof so will look into the method used by Andy.

It sounds reasonably straight forward and will be worth the effort if it allows me to keep the saw which, as I said, I am reluctant to get rid of.

Willow

Back