kity 1647

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Anyone used a kity 1647 combined planer & thicknesser ? if you have do you rate it , i am after a PT 1ph 300mm X 200mm approx anyone have a decent recommendation ?

I've got one, I like it and I don't know anything about the specifications or whatever 'coz I'm not technically minded. All I know is that I can run some oak along the planer and it gives me a straight edge. Then I flip the dust extraction, feed the timber in underneath and it comes out thicknessed. Dead easy. Not that I use it very often.

I remember it took two men to carry it into the workshop when it arrived and they moaned because it was so heavy. It also takes up a lot of floor space.

Yours

Gill

Gill is it a flip table job to convert to thicknessing or is it just a quick change on the DE ,also does it give a good finish . Would you recomend it ?

I also have one. You have to flip the outfeed table up, then turn the dust extraction hood over to convert to thicknessing. It's tedious to have to wind the thickness table all the way down to convert back, bit necessary due to the size of the hood.
I find setting the blades fiddly and usually end up adjusting the outfeed table in order to get the planer working nicely
Would I buy another, yes, of course, there is nothing else like it at the price.
John

I must say that I don't find the positioning of the table an issue; it's pretty quick to set up. I assumed all PTs must have this attribute. Nor have I had problems with the blades but that's probably because I haven't used it enough to experience any.

And there lies the problem with me giving the Kity a positive recommendation - I haven't used it much and I don't know enough about its peers to be able to say categorically that the Kity is one of the best on the market. We saw ours at a ww exhibition and His Lordship said it was just what he wanted so he bought it :roll: . Unfortunately, he doesn't get much time to use the machine and I work on small scale projects so we've never really put it through its paces. That said, it's always served us well whenever we have used it.

Yours

Gill

Back