Kitty Best Combi 2000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsh man

Reaction score
Hi,
I am very new to this but saw a post from someone else that you have helped them and really hope you can help me. I have taken ownership of my late fathers machine which has not been used for 10 years plus it was his pride and joy!!
However when I plugged it in the only motor to run was the spindle moulder. When I select the saw or planer from the rotary switch they don't run. I have removed the side paned and pulled out the plastic box with the 3 position rotary switch, contactor and capacitor.

I can make the other 2 motors saw and planner run when individually selected if I push the centre of the contactor across it latches in and when I hit the stop button it drop out as it should on both saw and planner. Only the spindle works by the start and stop switch.
I assume its the rotary switch or the contactor but help would be so much appreciated as this machine means a lot to me it look him years to save up for and I want it to save me valuable space in my own workshop.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_4446.jpeg
    IMG_4446.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
Agree with Blister. Impossible to tell from a photo but there aren't any complex electronics in there so anyone competant in electrics should be able to diagnose the issue for you. I'd be amazed if a decent spark couldn't find the issue in 30 mins and tell you which part is faulty.
Don't play with it if you don't know what you are doing as its all mains stuff and potentially dangerous.

I’m not familiar with the machine, but there are some common sense checks you can do.

If it’s not been used for 10 years, mouse damage to wiring is a possiblity. Do a good visual inspection first. Machine unplugged.

Similarly, switches that sit for years without being used can corrode. It may be that you need to give the rotary switch a good workout.

By pushing in the contactor, you’re bypassing any safety interlocks that prevent the machine from being started on the button. Examples might include guards being in place, doors shut, etc. It would be worth finding a manual to check you’re operating it correctly in the first place.

Given that the contactor self-latches, the above might not be relevant, but a manual is a sensible thing to own anyway.

Hi Marsh man

I can send you the PDF with the wiring diagram in if you let me know your Email address, PM me with it.

Don't forget the planer needs to have the extractor chute installed and the big black knob turned to activate the interlock.

I have had a connector pushed out of a plug to one motor, so you could be looking at two separate faults rather than something in common with both faults.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Pete

On my Bestcombi there is a start button at both ends of the machine. The button at the spindle moulder end (It’s next to the rotary switch) only operates the spindle moulder whilst the button at the other end starts either the saw or the planer depending on which mode has been selected. At the risk of asking the obvious, does your machine have a start button at both ends, and if so, have you tried both of them?

Dave

I used to have one of these. Following up on Dhenry's point, the 2000 also has a red stop button at each end, with a safety interlock between them. BOTH buttons have to be pulled out before the planer or saw motors will start.

Not used one of these,but, would expect interlocks to stop more than one motor running at a time. Most likely nothing wrong, just need to know the change over / safety interlock procedure.

The saw and spindle will run with both stop buttons out and the function selected, the planer needs selecting and the extraction chute fitted and the knob turned to operate the safety interlock.

Pete

Hi everyone
Firstly I would like to thank all of you for your help and support as embarrassing as it might sound the problem was identified as listed that there are 2 start/stop buttons at either end as I was not aware of this. Once I had read the posts I ran to the bottom of the garden to the workshop and to my delight the second stop button was in. Once I pulled it out everything runs as it should absolutely delighted especially as I have not used it for over a decade. In a way this feels like the TV programmed The Repair Shop as this machine was my late father's pride and joy and as it is now working as it should my worries are over and hope to use it in the years to come as sadly he never go the use out of it. I have made a donation in USD to support the site as this has been invaluable to me. I have never been on a forum like this before but thank you google which took me to a post when I searched for the machine post which landed me here. I have now added it to my favourites for future reference. Thanks again everyone eternally grateful.

Stay safe

Kind regards

Paul

Latest posts

Back