Kitchen Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry - Somerset

Established Member
Reaction score
We completely replaced our kitchen about 12 years ago . It is now beginning to look tired. It was also done in something of a rush (personal reasons) so did not include all the bells and whistles that should have been fitted. The work I am planning is:

1. Replace hob (cracked) and double oven (grill element needs replacing) - hob induction not ceramic, oven electric
2. Convert most under worktop cupboards to pull out drawers - ease of access
3. Replace tiles
4. Worktop - this is where I would appreciate some informed advice!

Hob and oven should fit existing apertures. Power supplies are already there. Most companies offer some form of fitting service - albeit slightly rip-off! (2) and (3) I will do.

The existing worktop is a laminate. Some of the joins are uneven (swelling < 1mm), the existing tiles are the upstand with some leakage behind the sink, and the once matt surface is smooth in parts due to use. The kitchen units are sound although I need to fit soft close hinges and may/may not change doors and handles.

So the options are:

1. Replace laminate with more laminate - probably cheapest solution
2. Replace with wood - reasonable cost but higher maintenance
3. Replace with Corian, acrylic or similar - possible wear issues - fairly pricey
4. Replace with granite slab - nice but most costly

The other alternative I have come across is for an overlay of typically 6-10mm. This retains the existing worktop as a base - a definite plus point, and seems moderate cost (between wood and acrylic) as less material used.

My questions to the ladies and gentlemen are:

- do you have any experience of overlays, resistance to high temps and marking
- can they really be fitted in a day
- have you found any negatives
- do you feel they are good value or a waste of time and money

With thanks for any feedback!

I new grill element= 20 quid delivered.
1 new double oven = :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

got no advice to give on the woodworking side. :roll:

Having had granite once I would skrimp and save every time for it in the future. I’ve found it bomb proof and wonderfully low maintenance. 10 years in and looks as good as the day it was installed. It is black with flecks though so stains are not an issue, I’ve heard with lighter colour options it can stain.

F.

Before you decide to replace or overlay, remove sink and check that your existing laminate top is ok around the cut out,swelling/water damage is not always visible with the sink in place,if its blown out then i would advise you replace at least that section .If fitting a new sink check cutout size especially if ordering a precut overlay. Have seen a few thin granite overlay kitchens and they do look pretty good and hard to tell from solid if done properly. be aware that the surface the overlay sits on must be clear of height differences or you risk it cracking.
Only a amatuer myself and there are guys on here that know all the do's and dont's ,hopefully one will be along soon to give you some proper advice .

It might be very old hat these days, but I like small square ceramic tiles for a kitchen surface. I put mine on plywood with a wooden edge band. Never have chipboard anywhere in a kitchen, unless you want to replace your kitchen, that is.

I’d go for wood worktop. Mine is walnut. Advantage is you can cut it yourself, and if you treat it with Osmo it is very low maintenance.

Converting cupboards to drawers is the way to go. Use reasonable quality runners such as Blum which will handle 30 kg loads.

Quartz worktops may be an option for you... There are a good variety of makes on the market now in a huge range of colours and some are perhaps more affordable than you may think.

I have only ever seen one set of overlay stone worktops in the flesh so to speak, and was not very impressed with the overall result. When I was informed by the Client how much they had paid, I thought that they could have replaced all the worktops with 30mm Quartz for the same money.... Food for thought.

If your joins are swelling then that means you've got water in somewhere. Only one solution. Bin it.

Another fan for granite here. But make sure if you go down that route that you ask them to polish the underside bit that overhangs the cabinets.

Back