Kitchen units - ready made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanser

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I would appreciate your advice. My son and young family have just moved into a doer upper in Leeds. Maybe it's more of a challenge than they had first thought? :roll:

The existing kitchen is pretty horrible and they need to move quickly and get in a new kitchen that is clean, safe, free of damp etc. Whilst they get on with the building remedials they've asked me to help re the kitchen units. Can you guys give me recommendations for kitchen unit suppliers, middle-ish range, ready or self assembly?

Thanks

I think there's a Magnet in or around Leeds. Good quality stuff. Not the cheapest by any means but certainly not the dearest. I use Magnet for kitchens I fit and I've never had a complaint about them.

If magnet are out of budget, try the Cooke & Lewis range from Tradepoint. Not too bad for the price.

Howdens sell their carcasses ready assembled.
But not sure if they sell to the public, might just be to the trade?

I am in Leeds and have a howdens account if it helps you. I haven't used the kitchen units yet- the flooring was well priced. To be honest if you asked them they would probably sign you up for an account- one of the kpi's is for new accounts opened.

I buy/supply rigid, pre made units from Howdens or similar, as often as possible.
I think the units are very much stronger, and you get a very much stronger accurate stress free start.
Fit the legs, set the legs to the chosen plinth width +3 or4 mm.
Then i fit the units to a 2x1 planed batten fixed against the back/service duct wall,and level.
Then I take a neat notch to accomadate the batten,from the base unit,- top of the unit, top of the batten
So much easier to fit, level and plumb up the units, the thinner budget worktop is better supported etc.
Mark the worktop finish line and work the wall cupboards height in with the tiles you have chosen and save cutting tiles unnecessary
keep the kettle boiling!
Regards Rodders

Roughcut":26du7t0v said:
Howdens sell their carcasses ready assembled.
But not sure if they sell to the public, might just be to the trade?
They do sell to the public as i have no account with them and have purchased units and other items from them.

But you can open an account with them very easily, they do 2 types credit account - where you are invoiced etc, but think a credit check is done.
Cash account where you pay there and then. :)

What's wrong with flat pack? A 600mm carcass only takes me ten mins to assemble, including glueing. Hardly worth paying up to twice the price for rigid and flat pack is easier to transport.

MMUK":1uleui7w said:
What's wrong with flat pack? A 600mm carcass only takes me ten mins to assemble, including glueing. Hardly worth paying up to twice the price for rigid and flat pack is easier to transport.
Howdens flat pack are a right PITA. But are very cheap, a mate a few years ago got a cooker housing from them for £8 - saving £52 over the rigid version at the time.

Depends on their budget really . When I do run of the mill kitchens I use Howdens. You should easily find someone who will let you use their account or open your own it's not hard to get one.

The stuff I usually fit is omega, crown imperial and German stuff like Pronorm, but they're slightly dearer than Howdens.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

i generally use Howdens but there prices seem to have increased lately, magnet trade range seem reasonable
and i have just fitted one from ikea not quite as good as howdens but was only half the cost for the same amount of
cabinets

With Howdens you just need to screw them down on the price, don't accept their first quote

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Apparently b&q charge £1 to assemble a flat pack unit. That's one pound per unit. Delivered assembled.

Mar_mite":100alc0e said:
Apparently b&q charge £1 to assemble a flat pack unit. That's one pound per unit. Delivered assembled.

What does it cost for them to replace it, three times?

It took them more than four months, IIRC - one inexpensive pair of skinned, plain white, MDF cabinet doors they couldn't deliver undamaged.

Never EVER again.

E.

PS: I ended up using the least worst damaged pair as I couldn't wait any longer.
The customer, to whom I am married, was livid.

MMUK":30xw45ej said:
Personally, I prefer flat pack for ease of transport, I can move most flat packs around on my own, fully assembled I need another pair of hands to guide the larger units through doorways etc, storage on site - a kitchen's worth of assembled units is a right nuisance to store unless you've got your schedule down pat. I recently put a couple of Wickes' own brand 'Miami' wall units in my garage for storage. They were cheap as chips, took about 10 minutes to assemble as MMUK says, and I really wasn't racing. The downside to the flat packs is that there's a certain lucky dip element to them - expect to get the occasional dinged panel, the worst seems to be the hard board back panel and the doors, they really need to fit corner protectors to the boxes. The Wickes ones are pretty low quality but once they're assembled it's the doors and the hardware that matters. Speaking of which - I've got to replace the doors on our own kitchen where the white wood effect overlay is delaminating from the mdf core - I meant to do it ~10 years ago just after we moved in, but you know how these things go...

Back