kitchen top advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend to make him a breakfast bar. It is to go into a recess of a window and extend about 3' supported by a fancy leg that I will turn. He wants the edge to be wavey. He also wants the edge to look really thick (3"). He wants it in oak. He is quite tight ££. Can anyone suggest anything. My first thought was veneered ply with oak edge, but he doesn't want a straight edge. I then thought about oak block worktop. Or even oak boards with the edges built up.
The window recess is 60" and he wants it protruding 36".
Thanks
Mark

Not an easy brief!

I think you should try and pin him down on what he has in mind as a 'wavy' edge and then dissuade him from wanting it!
One cheap option for the top could be to use oak flooring (not 'oak effect'!) and solid wood to edge it with. Some of this has a decent thickness (4mm) of sawn veneer so looks like real wood, not peeled veneer.

If you used 3" square oak along the edges, in theory you could cut back into it to create a wavy edge, but only up to 3" which I think would just look like something had nibbled the edge!

One other thought - could he mean a waney edge, ie one with the natural bark left on? If so, you will just need to get a big plank of oak which might cost more than he wants to pay. (You have found out what he is prepared to pay, haven't you?)

Good luck!

I'd tell him to supply the top! That way it's his fault the missus doen't like it! :lol:

Roy.

Thanks chaps, He wants a edge with a shape to it not neccesarily wavy, it will be rounded at the end. He hasn't given me a budget but just asked I come back with some prices on differant methods. Why are people who live in posh houses the hardest to please and want things for peanuts. Oh I also forgot this top is going above a radiator :shock: I advised him that real wood doesn't like radiators. Does anyone know of a timber supplier near county durham.
thanks
Mark

Thanks for that boatfixer, I've only lived 5 miles away from the place for 38years. It didn't come up on any of my searches.
Only problem I dont like it when websites dont have prices.

Back