Kitchen tart up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
When I originally went to look at this job around November last year there was going to be quite a bit of work otherwise I probably would not have been that interested in just doing a makeover. Well in the end all I've ended up doing is new worktops, retiling & a few other bits, about 1/5th of the work.

I sent the client to my worktop supplier so she could see whats available and typical lady she chose zebrano tops that run out at around £225 per metre run inc VAT, 3 times what I'd allowed for in the quote! I was a bit unsure what they would look like as I thought the strong grain once chopped up into short staves may look a bit loud but am actually quiet pleased with the way they came out, the Poly-x certainly darkens the wood but I quite like it like that.

PICT0299.jpg

PICT0302.jpg

PICT0306.jpg

The first day on site she asked me if I could do a coffee table to match the worktops, I said it could be a problem as I had only just bought enough to do the job, had I know then I would have got three 4.1m tops rather than [email protected] and [email protected] but said I would see what could be done with the small number of offcuts. Luckily the old tops were 600mm and the zebrano ones 650 so I had a decent rip off the backs which also did for the upstands when resawn to half thickness. I used the same method of ripping to half thickness to get most of the wood for the top and the legs came from the sink cutout. Well its a change from giving the client a chopping board from the cutouts :D

PICT0308.jpg

PICT0307.jpg

Jason

Yes they are nice, they are a 198x98 glass tile with a painted back, not cheap though at over £150 a metre sq retail. They also make 98x98 ones so you can start the brick bond on an exposed corner or end without cuts which is always better.

http://www.english-tiles.co.uk/Default. ... n-Bathroom

They had to live on take aways as I made them turn the Aga off for a week to allow the adhesive and grout to cure properly, seems to have worked as tehy are still on the wall :)

J

I like that, And I love the inventive use of the zebrano offcuts. Your client must be well pleased!

Very nice job Jason. Coffee table looks great too. Just one question, whats with all the names on the wall over the opening? :?

The house is part of an old farm complex thats been converted, the names were either the heavy horses or cows, can't remember which the owner said they were, certainly not all their children :D

J

looks good Jason were the worktops FSC as Zebrano is now listed as critically endangered on the cites list?

cheers

Jon

No, they always put on the invoice if a product is certified and there is nothing against these.

J

Latest posts

Back