kitchen table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally finished our new kitchen table, SHMBO is pretty pleased with it but i know where the bodies are buried ;)
The main problem was the top. Its a double thickness of 18 mm mdf, I discovered when screwing it together chipboard screw just snap even with a pilot hole!
And i should have know better but the top warped slightly before i attached the edge pieces. I know everyone says laminate both sides, well now i know why :oops: . Ive got enough spare laminate for another top when i get some time.
It was a lot of hassle to fit drawers but now that its done it gives a worth while amount of space. Though in the end i had to swap the cheapo drawer runners for full extension slides, because the self closing design of the cheaper runners caused the drawer fronts to bind with the top. I still have to put handles on the drawers but i am debating making something from beech or looking at what i can buy. Any suggestions gratefully received

table.jpg

Happy afternoon glueing up

construction.jpg

Drawers finished and installed

top.jpg

Grrrr bloody laminate, fun to trim though with my new trimming bit :)

attach-top.jpg

Surprisingly the table would not fit through the kitchen door :shock: 36mm of top was just too much so off it came

drawers.jpg

no excuse for not keeping the takeaway menu

action-shot.jpg

Action shot! this table is in for a lot of abuse. So far the laminate top has stood up much better than our previous pine table

Hi Tom, looks really well. Wasn't sure about the blue top but I thinks it's worked out really well. Playdough and kids' glue will be no problem.
What's the timber used on the frame and the finish?

Rgds

Noel

That's the business, Tombo :D ! I'm not surprised it's a popular piece.

With regard to handles, I'd be tempted to wander round one of the DIY sheds and see if they've any blue ones that might match the table top or the chairs. Alternatively, you could buy some and paint them yourself.

Gill

Tom

What a lovely table, I think the blue top is striking and the offset drawers are a good idea.

How long did the project take?

nice one tombo looks child proof aswell ,your not an everton supporter by any chance :D :D 8)

frank

Hi Tombo

Your table looks great and really practical.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you laminate both sides of the top? It's just that I couldn't tell from the photographs.

Cheers
Neil

thanks all for your favorable comments

What's the timber used on the frame and the finish?

The wood i used was steamed beech. No stain just 3 coats of satin varnish

Where did you get the laminate/s from ???

got the laminate from a company in liverpool called plastics and veneers
http://www.plasticsandveneers.co.uk/
massive place they hold complete stock (100 or so colours) for a number manufacturers formica, abet etc plus the have all sorts of other materials perspex and real wood veneers i am sure to be going back.

How long did the project take?

The whole project took about three sundays, if i were to make it again though i could certainly do it faster. I would not waste all that time swapping the drawer runners

nice to see a workshop strewn with sawdust.
gotta get me a chip collector ;), also the car has to fit in there in between wood working sessions its a real pain

your not an everton supporter by any chance

nope, unbelievably for some one in this area i am not at all interested in football :oops: The blue was chosen to match my starbucks inspired light

starbucks.jpg

I made this a few years ago its taken me this long to get the tools and knowledge to make the table to go with it.

but did you laminate both sides of the top?

Like i said in the original post, to my cost i did not laminate the bottom side and it has warped. I have since discovered that you can get very cheap stabilising laminate for just this purpose. Also, lesson learned dont waste your money with the water based contact adhesive you may remember my router table disaster...
disaster.jpg

its just is not as good as the real stuff

Tom

Latest posts

Back