Kitchen Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I made a table top in ash for a friend. This weekend I was asked if I could help as she "had a problem" with her table.

Oh no. Top has split, bowed or cupped. No, her grandson had written on it with a permanent marker and she could not get the writing off. I thought of a few ways to help, some of them involved relieving him of several fingers.

So today I went to look at it. The top looked lovely. It has turned a really nice brown colour completely different to the one it had when I delivered it. It has a few bumps and scratches nothing more than a table should have, it's been used!

Anyway I scrapped the top and got the marks off, will need a few more waxings but she was very pleased.

The purpose of this is just to say how proud I was seeing something that I had made being used and well loved. Not put a shelf to look at, but used as it should be day in day out.

I had a nice text today from a customer saying they had fully loaded some fitted shelves I fitted last week and were exceptionally happy with them. It was a nothing job but I think I got the same satisfaction you are describing.

Brillant! And well done for getting the mark off! That must have been a nightmare...

Some years back I built a custom Telecaster for a friend's daughter's 18th...it was black and blonde as she had blonde hair and she wore black clothes...so it was to match. Now...six years later...she sent it back to me for fixing up....I had the same nightmare thoughts as you but she just wanted the "final polish" done...I had said that once the nitro had hardened it would need doing!

A bit of a long time to wait....(and it was nearly dry!) :D It too had been loved and that made me happy as it was the first one I made!

Jim

Back