Kitchen Table in maple - finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lovely piece of work Chris. Many thanks for sharing the process and for the comprehensive WIP piccies. Any chance of a closer look at the inlay in the centre? It must be a real "wind up" cutting the recess for the inlay in such a large table top!

Beautiful work, Chris!
Good to see you "back in the saddle", if you'll excuse the pun :lol:
Best regards
Philly :D

That looks really good. You must be pleased.

waterhead37":20uec26m said:
I'd love to make a big Federal secretary type
piece but really the shop isn't large enough.

Rubbish, a bit of reorganisation (albeit temporarily) and I'm sure you'd be fine.... :wink: :lol:

Adam

Many thanks guys, it's nice to get something done again especially when people like it!

Roger, the inlay is shown below. There is some foreshortening due to the angle at which the pic was taken. However, the major/minor axes are in exactly the same proportion (3:2) as the table top itself.

It wasn't too bad cutting the recess. I used a powered router for the bulk of it, then as I got closer to the edges (I had previously incised with a scalpel), I used a Veritas router plane which let me get right up to the line without any real drama.

The hardest bit of the inlaying was satisfying myself that it was in the right position. The grain of the wood fools the eye and I kept wanting to set it on a skew. This looked fine from some directions but wrong from others. It took close to an hour before I had convinced myself that I had it as good as it would ever look (which was, unsurprisingly perhaps, the geometrically accurate position).

261482828_nsk5U-L.jpg

Adam, I know you can work miracles in a small shop but I am only human and I already fall over stuff as it is - shall I post the pictures of my bruises :lol:

waterhead37":2av5c2dx said:
Many thanks guys, it's nice to get something done again especially when people like it!

Roger, the inlay is shown below. There is some foreshortening due to the angle at which the pic was taken. However, the major/minor axes are in exactly the same proportion (3:2) as the table top itself.

It wasn't too bad cutting the recess. I used a powered router for the bulk of it, then as I got closer to the edges (I had previously incised with a scalpel), I used a Veritas router plane which let me get right up to the line without any real drama.

The hardest bit of the inlaying was satisfying myself that it was in the right position. The grain of the wood fools the eye and I kept wanting to set it on a skew. This looked fine from some directions but wrong from others. It took close to an hour before I had convinced myself that I had it as good as it would ever look (which was, unsurprisingly perhaps, the geometrically accurate position).

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post such a comprehesive reply Chris. That Veritas router plane looks nice - but a bit pricey. Might look out for one on "da bay", or maybe the Stanley #71.

Back