Kitchen sink recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
So the kitchen I am fitting was going okay until I needed to fit an inset ceramic sink designed for a 600mm cabinet in to a 500mm cabinet :poop:

The designer/supplier has apologised for their oversight and offered a refund as they don't do a ceramic sink for a 500mm cabinet (although can probably source one if needed).

They do seem quite rare, so far I have found Wickes do one and so do Villeroy and Boch.

The customer didn't want stainless steel but might go for some kind of composite if the ceramic doesn't work out. I have never had much to do with the composite so don't know much about them, any recommendations?

Thanks, Doug

quite a few out there for 500mm units.
Try caple for cheaper options.
Shaws and V&B for more costly.

Thanks guys, will check out the suggestions.

Sounds like this kitchen has been a bit of a mare from the start.

More down to the fact that I don't fit many kitchens so takes a while for me to get in to the swing of it!

Things like the doors came undrilled which wasn't a problem as I could borrow my friends Blum Ecodrill but I never gave a thought to the fact that the drawer fronts wouldn't be drilled either and these things take time when you don't do it regularly.

I'm sure it's the same in all kitchen refits but wow the wiring was everywhere, randomly zig zagging between sockets, cables running under window boards etc, amazed I haven't hit any (yet!).

It's looking like maybe a Franke Fragranite or Blanco Silgranit.

I'm reading a few reviews saying the Franke sinks stain and can look scruffy quickly. Anyone know if the Blanco are better in that respect, it will be a white sink?

Would it be possible to cut the unit to take a 600 sink as the client wanted originally???you may have to re-configure which way the doors swing so that the hinges aren’t on the cutaway section. Not saying it’s a good idea but it might be worth considering. Ian

Would it be possible to cut the unit to take a 600 sink as the client wanted originally???you may have to re-configure which way the doors swing so that the hinges aren’t on the cutaway section. Not saying it’s a good idea but it might be worth considering. Ian

Photo might explain it better although not that clear.

sink 1.jpg

To the left of the panel below (just visible) will be dishwasher so can't go any further left. My paper template shows where the basin would sit (the drainer is off to the left but not shown). The unit extends into the corner so there is kind of room to fit the sink in below but in my opinion the door below is only 500 so the designer should have treated it as a 500 wide unit, I'm not really happy cutting tops that close to the joint (actually comes through the jointing bolt). Many of the sinks sit in a 450 cabinet which would bring the cut out 150mm to the left which I will be much happier with. Customer doesn't mind what size sink, they just want their kitchen finished yesterday 🙄

do not buy a schock sink. they stain very easily. DAMHIKT. (MIL saw the schock waterfall sink and loved it for her new kitchen that I fitted.) I cannot believe how badly the white sink stains. schock recommend a "special " sink cleaner (they would.....)

Yes I see your problem Doug, not nice having it that close to the joint!
My ex insisted that we have a white Blanco sink and as FH just said pretty much a disaster. Bleach is as good as anything but there are stains that will not shift. Ian

do not buy a schock sink. they stain very easily. DAMHIKT. (MIL saw the schock waterfall sink and loved it for her new kitchen that I fitted.) I cannot believe how badly the white sink stains. schock recommend a "special " sink cleaner (they would.....)

My ex insisted that we have a white Blanco sink and as FH just said pretty much a disaster. Bleach is as good as anything but there are stains that will not shift. Ian

I don't know how they get away with it, all the sales blurb for these and similar sinks say they are stain proof yet all the reviews say they stain easily :dunno:

A decent stainless sink is the best. I recommend Franke.
A ceramic is so harsh to crockery and composite ones are fragile and stain.
Stainless is very easy to make look brand new with a bit of scotchbrite too.

What about a 'corner sink' , mine is a one and a half bowl with a drainer, the main bowl sits on the left bit of worktop the small sink in the corner and the drainer on the right bit of worktop. Like this Franke STUDIO STX CORNER Inset Kitchen Sink STX 621-E RH Stainless Steel 101.0001.044
Saves a lot of space in my tiny kitchen.

Good luck

Ollie

Last edited:
The problem with a lot of these composite material type sinks, is that although they may feel smooth to the touch, in reality, if you looked at the surface under a microscope, it would look like the surface of a sponge.
Those little tiny holes in the surface capture dirt etc and scrubbing the surface with Bleach for example, will only remove the stains off the surface and not get into the holes and remove the dirt/stains.

The best way to clean them is to use biological washing powder on a damp green Scotchbrite type sponge. Go over the sink surface, leave it for 15 minutes then go back over it again with the same sponge but with warm water and wash over thoroughly.
This may need a couple of applications if the sink is badly stained but the powder will biologically eat the stains away and remove the stains from inside the micro pitting.

Having said all that,...White composite sinks are renowned for being the most difficult to keep clean. I always try and avoid selling the White ones if possible, but the process I've mentioned above does work, albeit, it will take longer to achieve the best look on a White sink.

If you have an existing composite sink that's stained, try the process I've described and you may well be surprised at the transformation.

Edit. It really does need the POWDER to work properly.....The very slight abrasiveness of the powder seems to work far better than a biological liquid.

Hope this helps,

Tim.

Back