Kitchen sink - ceramic, stainless or ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I would seek advice, I guess more of us are spending a bit more time than usual on forums and its good to think about something other than impending (or not) doom.

When we moved in 25 years ago the kitchen sink (1.5 bowl plus drainer) was some kind of off white plastic composite deeply stained with tea etc. I replaced it with stainless steel which did OK but like any stainless it does get fine-scratched and lost its shiny new shine after a while. 12 or so years ago I refitted the whole kitchen and put in a nice white ceramic sink, but after hard use (we cook a lot) its losing its enamel shine in places and has a hairline crack near the drain outlet. Time to replace.

Instinct was to go like-for-like, it's done well, but I've stumbled across things like granite composites which probably weren't around back then. It's inset in a beech counter top so just about anything would look OK.

Any views? Stainless, ceramic, granite composite, any other kind of composite ..... everyday practicality and ease of care important.

I've used composite and ceramic sinks in previous kitchens, but wouldn't chose anything other than stainless now. Doesn't stain or chip, and any fine scratching can be buffed out.

Dee J":32ei3gyx said:
I've used composite and ceramic sinks in previous kitchens, but wouldn't chose anything other than stainless now. Doesn't stain or chip, and any fine scratching can be buffed out.
We opted for stainless when we did our kitchen and we are quite happy with it. I find your comment about buffing out fine scratches interesting though. Do you actually do that? It certainly never happens in this house. We just accept that it will scratch and don't even think about it.

having had a ceramic, resin/ composite and stainless, I'm planning to go with composite for the kitchen sink so it looks posh and stainless for the utility which will never been seen by anyone and I can use it like an actually sink. guess which bit is my choice and which is the wifes?

Every composite sink I have seen always looks dirty. Ceramic looks nice and does keep it's looks but it is very hard on dishes you might wash in there and can break itself.

Stainless always looks scratched, comes with the territory but they are basically bombproof, unbreakable, pretty easy going on things dropped in there and very easy to clean. Personally it is the only sink I would use for a kitchen or utility.

I have a composite black Blanco (??????????) in the kitchen and a S/H stainless in the workshop. I wouldn't change either.
Er, sorry, that's not a lot of help, is it? :)
S

We're about to fit a new kitchen and have gone for stainless (2 full size bowls and drainer) again. I've had a white composite one previously and wouldn't have one again as it stained easily and the first one cracked and had to be replaced by manufacturer. I prefer the look of others but practicality for me.

Stainless every time for me.

Make sure where the tap fits is rigid and won't flex.

Other options are a wooden sink (expensive unless you make it) but very kind on dishes (but surely most use dishwashers now) and copper (also expensive).

I am just doing my kitchen and utility. I have a double Shaw of Darwens in stock, and am yet to decide whether it goes in utility or kitchen. The other sink will be stainless and fitted with a commercial type spray tap as well as a quooker hot water tap.

Stainless vary a lot from cheap and cheerful, to under mounted with very sharp lines. The latter can look very smart.

Back