Kitchen refurb - plywood questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
We are planning a kitchen update on a budget, reusing a number of the carcasses and the doors, which still look good. They are a solid oak ikea design that still look contemporary but are no longer supplied by Ikea. Designer in chief wants to give the kitchen a face frame effect using end grain ply similar to plywood_kitchen

Full sheets will only be used on two large end panels the rest will be made of 4 or 5 inch strips visible at the front with spacers at the back made of ply or mdf. We have found one supplier that makes Oak ply https://www.winwood-products.com/. We have asked for a quote but I fear it will be horrendously expensive. The other alternative is to use oak veneered birch ply but I haven't found a product which is veneered on both faces like mdf is. Designer in chief is also worried about a colour mismatch of birch endgrain with the cupboard doors (I'm not sure this is a worry). Any thoughts on our design or other suppliers would be very helpful.

Cheers,

H.

Timbmet (timbmet.com) sell birch ply veneered on both faces with crown cut American White Oak. (A grade on one side and B on the other.)
Nearest depto to you is in Glasgow.
HTH
David

Thanks David, I will check them out and see if they can supply a sample so we can check what it looks like against our current door fronts.

Another option to price would be using oak MDF plant on gables with an end grain birch ply edging tape. Can get it from ostermann. Probs be more work doing it that way though

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks Heno. This is a good option worth testing. Especially as the quote for the oak ply came out at £400 a sheet plus £160 delivery :shock:

Latest posts

Back