Kitchen price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a kitchen price from Harvey Jones Kitchens ,after a rather long consultation with a designer who frankly hadn't a clue until it was time to add up the cost she eventually produced an eye wateringly escalated price which made me openly laugh,she was somewhat bemused when I questioned one of the priced items which she described as fittings,these fittings were actually the screws used to fix the cabinets to the walls! Wait for it,the price £70.00,and next to that was the price of filler used by the painters £79.00!Now these are supposedly top of the heap kitchen manufacturers who need in the region of ten litres of filler before painting .Needless to say there was a hasty departure from the showroom to check my birth certificate ,just to make sure I wasn't born yesterday.I suggest the new uniforms for the staff should incorporate a black and white striped jersey and a mask.Would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Do you mean Harvey Jones Kitchens....?......Whoever they are,....£70.00 seems cheap by anyone's standards.

Wasn't Howard Jones a singer back in the 1980's...??

Edit. I see you've corrected the name...

"Fittings" could cover a multitude of things Kevin... Screws just being a small percentage.....Blades? Adhesives? Sealant? Rawlplugs? Brackets? Maybe they just add on a set figure to every job just to cover these sort of incidentals...?

Without knowing what work would be entailed in your Kitchen project, I'm just guessing really!

Crikey, that's a very detailed quote if they list screws and all fittings.

Distinterior":1b7zfrr7 said:
doctor Bob":1b7zfrr7 said:
Crikey, that's a very detailed quote if they list screws and all fittings.

I agree with Bob,....I certainly don't break my kitchen quotes down to that degree.
The very fact that this thread and question exists is very good reason why you shouldn't break quotes down this much...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Is it just me, or are there not sufficient qualified people on this forum to approach for a kitchen quote, rather than some corporate fashion outlet?

Of course, if you were just fishing to see what they could come up with...

(15 years ago, I had a quote of €7,000 for a kitchen - standard carcases with chipboard and hardboard backs - the usual junk. I am such a tight-fisted Scot that I built my own, for €2,000, including the new tools I needed to do the job. No experience, and no internet at that time, but I was given a book (Make kitchens like a Pro), and away I went. Kitchens are just boxes, and you can buy the doors).
http://theolivefarm.biz/attachments/Sli ... te=generic

Trainee neophyte":5bphu5tj said:
Is it just me, or are there not sufficient qualified people on this forum to approach for a kitchen quote, rather than some corporate fashion outlet?

Of course, if you were just fishing to see what they could come up with...

(15 years ago, I had a quote of €7,000 for a kitchen - standard carcases with chipboard and hardboard backs - the usual junk. I am such a tight-fisted Scot that I built my own, for €2,000, including the new tools I needed to do the job. No experience, and no internet at that time, but I was given a book (Make kitchens like a Pro), and away I went. Kitchens are just boxes, and you can buy the doors).
http://theolivefarm.biz/attachments/Sli ... te=generic

Wow I was not expecting that.

Looks very good, nice job, well done =D>

You are too kind. My next kitchen will be much better :)

Actually, I know my failings, which is that I am a farmer, and take a farmer's approach to woodwork (pallets are gaffer tape for farmers). My need is to become pernickety, fussy, analy retentive, and generally overly consciencious. Hard to do when I have spent a lifetime of bodging and hitting things with a big hammer. Currently making a tool-box, as a proof of concept that I can be precise, and I have already fluffed it by bodging . Sigh.

Yes,I was just fishing,the items I am talking about I had to question before they broke them down,I also built my own kitchen but that was many years ago and I was a much younger man,I have all the tools to do the work that would be needed but time and space are issues.I understand that people on this forum may not wish to itemise everything that would be used in building and installing a kitchen but when you see an item like filler priced at £79 any customer should start asking questions.Another example of extortionate overpricing was an open infill cabinet,no shelves or door just an open mfc cabinet measuring 220mm wide unpainted,wait for it.......£575 plus vat now all you kitchen builders try to defend that!As I said robbers.

kevinlightfoot":28cgqf7i said:
Another example of extortionate overpricing was an open infill cabinet,no shelves or door just an open mfc cabinet measuring 220mm wide unpainted,wait for it.......£575 plus vat now all you kitchen builders try to defend that!As I said robbers.

....I think I should start putting my prices up... :)

To be serious, I am struggling to see how they came up with that price..!!! :shock:

Don't make the mistake of tarring everyone with the same brush though Kevin.

On the subject of itemised quotes: a plumber friend was asked to give quote for some work and was asked to break it down into great detail including the cost of PTFE tape, screws and various other individual items. After we had had a laugh about quoting £20 for left handed PTFE tape he decided it was not for him. He was not that keen on the customers attitude either which helped the decision.

HappyHacker":lflqpy1p said:
On the subject of itemised quotes: a plumber friend was asked to give quote for some work and was asked to break it down into great detail including the cost of PTFE tape, screws and various other individual items. After we had had a laugh about quoting £20 for left handed PTFE tape he decided it was not for him. He was not that keen on the customers attitude either which helped the decision.

As soon as any potential client asked me to do that, my warning radar would have beeped and I would have declined to offer a Quote.

If I am asked to supply one or two items, then I am more than willing to quote those two items individually,.....But, not on a complete kitchen supplied and installed.

Sub Total...+ VAT...= TOTAL price for the job.

I have had instances in the past where a potential Client has asked for a more detailed breakdown, but what tends to happen is, they then start to "Cherry pick" and say I can buy that Oven for £10 less on the internet etc.

The job would be okay, ...If it was'nt for the customers..!!!!

No I won't tar everyone the same,in fact I would say that I probably picked one of the worst ones.I am looking into other places and I will be sure that any quote is like for like I am not criticising the quality of their work,but at those prices it should be amongst the best.It just seems to me that all the world is after ripping you off.I know when I was working wood for a living and if I say so myself my work was of a high standard I would not even try to rob people and I always got plenty of customers who were happy to pay a fair price

Trainee neophyte":3epv5blv said:
........(15 years ago, I had a quote of €7,000 for a kitchen - standard carcases with chipboard and hardboard backs - the usual junk. I am such a tight-fisted Scot that I built my own, for €2,000, including the new tools I needed to do the job. No experience, and no internet at that time, but I was given a book (Make kitchens like a Pro), and away I went. Kitchens are just boxes, and you can buy the doors).........

Mine cost £400 to make plus the worktops. All solid wood and ply. Unlike me, though, people making kitchens for a living have to charge for their time and overheads.

I also like to think you pay for a pineapple good kitchen when you get one from us.
I'm sure the people on here who built their own kitchens are bang on, however I have been shown round so many home built kitchens where the chap is as proud as punch, inside i'm just thinking what a pile of dog do, but grin and nod and compliment etc etc.

doctor Bob":156aijy4 said:
I also like to think you pay for a pineapple good kitchen when you get one from us.
I'm sure the people on here who built their own kitchens are bang on, however I have been shown round so many home built kitchens where the chap is as proud as punch, inside i'm just thinking what a pile of dog do, but grin and nod and compliment etc etc.

Yes, you pay for the skill and knowledge of what works when you go to a professional. The fixings and filler are the last thing you want to know the cost of. I’m sure I could make boxes and fit doors, but I have no idea on the details that make something beautiful.

Some of the stuff you post on here Dr B is fabulous. Must get a quote from you one day...how much do you charge for mastic?

Latest posts

Back