Kitchen Plinths and Freestanding Devices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I am installing plinths under my new kitchen cabinets, I have an integrated Dishwasher and Freezer side by side. I just noticed the door to the dishwasher will snag the top of the plinth when it opens and the freezer has vent. See picture attached. What are the options other than cutting away the plinth to avoid snagging

Attachments

• 20210817_153233.jpg
    20210817_153233.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 52
Hi, I don't think there are any other ways. You can't get over the geometry. Having said that, it doesn't really seem to spoil the look as the cutouts are hidden from most angles by the bottoms of the doors.
If anyone has a better answer, I'd be very pleased to see it!

I ran some tests with a piece of MDF cut just low enough so it does not snag the door. You can't see it unless you bed down. However, if my kitchen was 20ft wide and I was sitting on the opposite wall I would see it. That's the dishwasher sorted, I have not figured out the Freezer yet

To move the plinth back I would have to remove the kitchen :) - It made me think how far back the legs should be, if it was too far back it would look odd.

Happy with the location as it is, I'll just have to cut a slot in the plinth.

That could be the source of the problem. I don't know what is 'standard' for leg - front of cabinets?
Just a thought. Hope it still looks good with a slot.

Cut the notch with a router and a large diameter cutter (say 20mm plus). Edge band the raw chipboard using iron on tape, a heat gun and a large diameter screwdriver

Last edited:
Hi JobandKnock, it's MDF and routing it is the way I'll do it. Much neater than a jigsaw. I'll also bind the edge

Back