Kitchen Plinth Jointing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
My plinth comes in a standard length which I think is 3Mt, my plinth run is more than 3Mt which means a join

Options are
  1. Butt up the edges and hop there isn't a gap
  2. Mitre the join with the objective of getting a cleaner joint
  3. Buy an off the shelf joint in white plastic which won't match the colour of the plinth
https://www.diy.com/departments/goo..._-1ZiIM4tXolkJCydcBoC12AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
What would you do ?

J

From the only reveiw of that item:

The idea of the connector is a good one, but as with the corner connector they are so difficult to get they chip the laminate, but come off very easily. They also high light the joint and look very ugly, in the end I butt jointed my plinth and secured it with two flat connecting plates on the blind side, and it looks so much better.

I think that would be the first thing that I would try.

Plastic connector painted to match the rest of the plinth using a can of colour matched car touch-up paint?

Butt joint. I have on occasion ironed a piece of colour matched edging tape over the joint to improve a poor joint.

I have also contemplated getting self adhesive vinyl RAL colour matched to the units for when I need longer/taller plinths, but I've yet to actually do it.

@JobandKnock Don't see anything to say it is mfc or any other man made material. I thought it was wood. The plinth in the kitchen I am making is solid Oak along with the cabinets.

I mitre mine, stick together with mitre mate to get a good alignment, then i use 2 joining plates behind to reinforce the joint.
If you get a butt joint that has a small gap, it can often be reduced or closed by offsetting the screw positions in the joining plates, making the joint pull together.

Don't see anything to say it is mfc or any other man made material. I thought it was wood.
The vast majority of manufactured kitchens use MFC or MF-MDF or plinths and the OP specifically stated 3m lengths - a typical length for such materials. Neither will scarf well.

In the case of hand made solid wood kitchens surely you'd expect longer lengths to be supplied. In any case isn't scarf jointing solid wood going to stand out like a sore thumb due to differences in grain direction, etc?

Last edited:
I don't use MFC ever so did not know that. And you would be amazed at what you can do with MDF and the skill/knowledge of how to completely conceal joints, especially if it is being painted/veneered afterwards. Regarding solid wood using sequential boards from the same flitch along with judicious cutting can (to the eye) completely disguise scarf joints. It's all a matter of how pedantic and what level of workmanship you are prepared to put in. For me when it is my house I will happily spend twice as long or more to make sure it is exactly how I want it.

Another option is to stick a couple of end panels across the run, I.e either side of the oven to keep the lengths smaller than 3m

I used a jig (borrowed) for the corners and biscuits for the little extension, all joints sealed using silicon. The joints where done 15 years ago, as you can see they are still OK today. All the cuts were done with a router and a relatively new bit.
IMG_4276 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4273 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4273 - Copy.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4274 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4274 - Copy.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 7
I used a jig (borrowed) for the corners and biscuits for the little extension, all joints sealed using silicon. The joints where done 15 years ago, as you can see they are still OK today. All the cuts were done with a router and a relatively new bit.View attachment 116206

That's a worktop mate, not plinths, plinths are the lengths of timber to cover the gaps under the cabinet created by the legs

Back