Kitchen island/dining table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a little project to make for a customer for whom I fitted a kitchen before christmas. It will have an oak top (1500x1000) and a painted bottom section.

This is the timber pile

2012-02-29165403.jpg

Some nice 2" euro prime oak for the top (about 4 cu/ft), some 1" oak for some slatted shelves, and the rest in CND beech for the legs, rails and door/face frame for the built in unit.

I then realised I hadn't fitted the new blades for the thicknesser which i'd received from Doug, so thought i'd pop them in so I could get motoring. Unfortunately I had ordered the wrong size - i'd assumed they were a 30mm depth, but they're only 15/16". So i've got to wait until they arrive before the proper machining starts. For now i'll cut to rough length and perhaps plane a face and edge.

I'll post an update when the time comes.

Cheers

Karl

Not really much of an update, but this afternoon I rough cut the timber to more manageable sizes

2012-03-02170645.jpg

Some of the pieces were covered in crud, like the board in the front of this pic

2012-03-02171059.jpg

I've fitted new blades on the planer, and have a new set on order for the thicknesser, and didn't want to blunt them straight away. So I broke the jack plane out and scrubbed away the crud.

2012-03-02170657.jpg

One of the 2" oak boards had a lovely quartersawn figuring - right the way down the length of 3.3mtrs

2012-03-02171025.jpg

I did toy with the idea of keeping this board to one side (for use in a separate project for home) and ordering a new one, but I really haven't got the room to store a board of that length, so thought i'd just throw it into the mix of boards making up the top.

One slight problem I have got is that the unit needs to be built flat pack and glued up on site - the overall dimension will be circa 1500(L) x 1000(D) x 900(H).

Cheers

Karl

Nice looking timber Karl and keep "scrubbing the Crud" and you will end up with arms like Popeye's :mrgreen:

Hope your customer likes Medullary rays - I once had to remake a table top for a lady client after she took delivery of a table I had made her, she was not displeased with the quality but as she put it "Couldn't face being reminded of her stretch marks every time she sat down to eat!!" :lol: :lol:

Keep up the good work

Rog

Dodge":2a31zodj said:
Hope your customer likes Medullary rays - I once had to remake a table top for a lady client after she took delivery of a table I had made her, she was not displeased with the quality but as she put it "Couldn't face being reminded of her stretch marks every time she sat down to eat!!" :lol: :lol:

That's my concern Roger - all the other boards are plain sawn, and i'm not sure putting some q/s boards in there will look right. I think i'm going to order another plain sawn board and keep the q/s board for another day.

Cheers

Karl

The trouble is Karl we know that the board is the best for the figuring but the lay person sees it as not matching - I agree with your approach

Rog

With all that timber in the 'shop it was time for a tidy up before work commences.

Started with making room for the timber storage

2012-03-03212546.jpg

Moved the morticer to the end of the surface planer - the table of the morticer sits below the planer, so doesn't foul timber passing by. Morticer on mobile base for manouverability as and when required.Cyclone extraction in the corner.

2012-03-03212606.jpg

Table saw and spindle moulder in close proximity to the planer - it's a bit tight in there !

2012-03-03212626.jpg

2012-03-03212649.jpg

Thankfully the t/s moves into a separate space when not in use, freeing up a lot of floor space.

2012-03-03212723.jpg

Spindle moulder in-situ - this is going to be bolted to the floor tomorrow

2012-03-03212735.jpg

The spindle on the Sedgwick doesn't retract below the level of the table, so I removed it - it's a 10 second job to replace it. This means that it doesn't foul any t/s or bench work.

2012-03-03212743.jpg

Also finished wiring up the converter which will supply the spindle and thicknesser.

2012-03-03212751.jpg

Cheers

Karl

Looking good Karl.
Certainly puts my place to shame.
Good luck with the island/top. I think you've made the right decision to leave out that one board.
All the best.

Adam.

Not really much of an update - had a couple of other jobs to sort out over the last couple of days.

I did find time to make a dust extraction point for the planer - something which was sorely lacking, meaning that the machine just spewed shavings onto the floor

2012-03-06183809.jpg

Works great now.

Also found a bit of time to make up the leg blanks. After suface planing one face on each piece, I planed each piece to remove the ripple marks, and also to create a hollow in the length and width of each piece. Pencil marks down the edge of each piece allow me to ensure i've not taken a cutting from the edge of the board

2012-03-05211706.jpg

4 leg blanks glued up and the a face and edge planed on the planer - not a bad joint

2012-03-06191037.jpg

And just a quick skim with the plane will bring this into perfect square

2012-03-06191005.jpg

Tomorrow's job is to get the thicknesser back up and running doh:

Cheers

Karl

Dodge":w90djme5 said:
The trouble is Karl we know that the board is the best for the figuring but the lay person sees it as not matching - I agree with your approach

Rog
So do I. It would be a shame to include that one quarter sawn board amongst all the other plain sawn ones...keep it for something special :wink: - Rob

Had the nod on the changes, so here's a quick sketch of what i'm making

2012-03-14120152.jpg

Hopefully you get the idea. Everything except the solid oak top will be painted.

I'll be able to crack on with it on Tuesday and hopefully get it finished by next weekend.

Cheers

Karl

From Winsford Sawmill - about 2 mins drive from home. They don't carry any stock (at least that you can buy - everything on site is for another side of their business), but they are part of Whitmore's in Leicester, and have twice weekly deliveries. I've been quite pleased with everything i've had from them, and the prices are good too. If you PM me an e-mail address I can send you a copy of their price list.

Cheers

Karl

Well after a serious hiatus (for a multitude of reasons) I got back on with this project today.

Popped a new rip blade in the t/s (from Cutting Solutions)

2012-04-15105809.jpg

And ripped the legs and rails to dimension (they had been face and edged previously).

2012-04-15111803.jpg

2012-04-16114714.jpg

Then marked out for the mortices on the legs.

2012-04-16114723.jpg

And set up the morticer (god it took me so long to find the right drill bits/bushes for this thing).

2012-04-16114733.jpg

Got about 1/2 way through when disaster - the auger bit sheared into two!

2012-04-16140901.jpg

So the mortices had only had one pass - once finished they will be approximately twice the width they are now. I didn't do them to the right size straight off for a couple of reasons, namely the machine is probably a bit underpowered to be making 60mm deep 3/4" mortices in hardwood, and also I didn't have a decent sized larger drill bit.

2012-04-16140845.jpg

I've ordered a new drill bit, and it should be here in the morning. So hopefully tomorrow i'll get the mortices finished, cut the tenons on the rails, and get the oak top planed up and glued.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":3vlyl7cx said:
From Winsford Sawmill - about 2 mins drive from home. They don't carry any stock (at least that you can buy - everything on site is for another side of their business), but they are part of Whitmore's in Leicester, and have twice weekly deliveries. I've been quite pleased with everything i've had from them, and the prices are good too. If you PM me an e-mail address I can send you a copy of their price list.

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl,

Any chance you can send me that price list? I'm not too far away from you I think and I'm need of some different timber suppliers.
You have pm.

Cheers _Dan

I've just finished this. To compliment a kitchen I fitted for them before Christmas.

Beech frame, Prime Euro Oak for the top and slats.

2012-05-01140814.jpg

2012-05-01140617.jpg

2012-05-01140430.jpg

Recycling drawer built in

2012-05-01140504.jpg

Quite pleased with how the top came out. 1500 x 1000. 2 coats of HWO.

2012-05-01140545.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Karl

Looks good Karl.

A couple of things I do differently, I integrate the cabinet frame with the top and bottom rails, so in effect all you need are 2 verticals.
Also I like to make the slatted shelves removable, for cleaning purposes, I therefore sit my shelves on top of the main rails, I can also have an identical one above it on shelf studs.

Not saying I'm right and your wrong ...... just food for thought.

Good looking item, I prefer the wider board worktops to the small stave ones. I think as a customer I would of had some sort of detail added to the legs, but other than that very nice.

Thanks NS. I understand what you're saying about the legs, but the face frame detail on the kitchen is very plain, so it may have looked out of place. I had thought of a stopped chamfer, but decided not to promote it.

Cheers

Karl

Latest posts

Back