Kitchen fitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lurker":2zo1d2w3 said:
flying haggis":2zo1d2w3 said:
+1 for spaceplugs. handy little blighters I can tell you. if you do want to mount isolation switches in the unit rears use a plasterboard box ie

https://www.toolstation.com/appleby-dry ... xes/p86567 to give a neat finish. the lugs on the side of the box will hold the box to the unit as you tighten the switch fixing screws

Thanks but, the problem is, if I ever need to pull out the cabinets, I have electrics to deal with as well.

Plus when the wife stuffed the cupboard full it will knock the switch off.

I had to go round to my sister-in-law for a similar problem.

Pete

Doug71":3dzuond0 said:
Proper trade tip so you are not allowed to tell anyone this :wink:

If you have a run of wall units or fixing them to stud walls get a length of the bracket in the link attached below. Much easier then messing around with the little individual brackets, can fasten it anywhere along it's length and the wall units automatically line up. You do have to make a little cut out in the back edge of the wall units but it's not seen.

https://www.howdens.com/hardware/screws ... ly-rkc0135

how have i not seen these before ? great shout.

I usually run a baton along the back top edge of base units to screw straight through into any timber behind plasterboard.

lurker":1vjtcx3a said:
flying haggis":1vjtcx3a said:
+1 for spaceplugs. handy little blighters I can tell you. if you do want to mount isolation switches in the unit rears use a plasterboard box ie

https://www.toolstation.com/appleby-dry ... xes/p86567 to give a neat finish. the lugs on the side of the box will hold the box to the unit as you tighten the switch fixing screws

Thanks but, the problem is, if I ever need to pull out the cabinets, I have electrics to deal with as well.

Surely you would only ever really need to pull the cabinets out when you redo the kitchen again? You can always just unscrew the fronts, push the two lugs in and push the box through the back of the cabinet if you needed to anyway, probably takes about an extra 3 minutes

I fitted pattress boxes in my kitchen units for isolators etc, much neater and less disruptive to the cabinet structure to drill a hole for the wires (which you can then hide with the box) than hacking out larger chunks. I really don't see why you would ever need to move the cabinets again except for changing the kitchen; when that time comes simply undo the wires from the switches and the cable comes back through the hole. Takes but a moment.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I originally fitted my isolators in plasterboard boxes cut into the unit backs. You will need to fix shims to the unit back, as they are usually max 9mm, and the boxes will only grip minimum 12mm material (i might mean 6 & 9mm, but the concept is the same!)

They worked OK, but when i pulled the kitchen or temporarily for a extension, then reinstalled it, I replaced most of the PB boxes with metal back boxes, fixed to the wall. IIRC, a 47mm back box allowed the faceplate to pull up perfectly flush against the carcass, but with much less struggling than the PB box.

I have taken onboard what many of you are saying and have modified a few this morning with flying leads so as to fit the box in the cupboard. The whole (empty) house has been rewired mainly by me, with sparky doing the new bathroom and signing off the lot.

Until the units have arrived, I am not sure how I will proceed.

So elementary I feel a fool for having to ask.
What is the standard height from the floor for a kitchen worktop surface.

I am guessing 36"

So elementary I feel a fool for having to ask.
What is the standard height from the floor for a kitchen worktop surface.

I am guessing 36"
Have you got the Howdens instruction book? I fitted my first Howdens kitchen without it and it was like pulling teeth at times. Get it, it'll save a lot of agro.

IIRC, standard base unit height is 720,add 150 of adjustable leg/plinth, plus 40mm of worktop = 910mm, so near as pipper is to swear, 36 inches.

Thanks.
Wasn't aware there was an instruction book.
A leaflet said set up the adjustable legs to 170 which is pretty much what has sown the seeds of doubt.

36" is the norm but you can have any height you want (just make sure appliances fit under!), the height often goes up or down in places as the floor runs out of level anyway.

If you look on Howdens website the fashion for worktops is for them to be thin, 22 mm, 20 mm and even 12.5mm so I guess that is why they say set the legs to 170 mm.

thanks Doug, my top is 40mm.
the total height at home is a tad over 36” as both her majesty and I are shortarses that’s what I will work to.
Setch, thanks for the heads up regards the manual, I have just been to howdens and collected one.
For anyone fitting a kitchen, not necessarily howdens , these are free for the asking.

Last edited:
Glad they had one - i asked repeatedly for a copy when doing my first Howdens install ( but thankfully not my first kitchen) and they branch could only issue one for their Profile/Handleless range, which has different installation details etc.

Doing the second kitchen, with a full copy of the correct manual involved a lot less headscratching!

I don't really understand why they don't make the manually available online, butt they're a trifle odd like that.

It is online but lots of sections.
Personally, I don’t like this online malarkey, much prefer print.

I doubt that I have ever watched more than a dozen utubes either.

I'm not a pro, but I did install my kitchen about 8 years ago, IKEA as it happens, decent stuff but at times challenging. So here are some of my thoughts for what they are worth.

Height, don't forget the floor. In my case it was concrete floor with horrid old vinyl on it, to be ripped out and replaced with quality laminate on top of proper underlay. That wasn't going all the way to the walls, but it did tuck under the plinths. So that meant I had to be sure the leg lengths were (in my case) 12mm higher than they would have been had it been built straight on to an existing floor. Having the floor go only just under the plinths but not under the legs meant I could change the floor again in a few years without taking the kitchen apart.

Installation order. Its tempting to rip all the old stuff out and then start putting the new in. I knew this would take me a couple of weeks or more so I only took old bits out as I got to them starting at an easy section. Mine was flat packed, so I sub assembled a section-worth in the garage, took some old stuff out, fitted the new then broke up the old (keeping a few for use in the garage/workshop). Then next section ... That way I was only without hob, cooker, sink and their units for a day each, plus by the time I got to them I had got much better and quicker at getting stuff fitted. I left the hob in a biggish section of the old worktop just roughly cut out so I could lay it across the new units until I had the new worktops ready.

But the contents. They were emptied out on day 1, don't want dust and bits in with the crockery and pans. It was ASTONISHING how much space all that took up piled up in the dining room. Don't underestimate the time it takes to empty, sort, decide, dispose ....

Others have warned that nothing is properly square or level, same with me, house built in 1986/7, much fiddling and it all came right. I obsessively leveled the hob - I want my fried egg to sit in the middle of the pan if that's where I put it. So too the built in oven installation. Sponges should be a disc not a wedge when they come out. Those are the things that matter most functionally, but pride means it all should be level.

I made 2 jigs which helped save a lot of time. I checked that the ceiling was level so used an offcut of MDF to make a marking device for the top cupboard fixing holes - V top and bottom, mark where the cupboards will meet, push mdf up to ceiling, put V against the lines and mark the holes for both cupboards at once, move on to next. I was scared of drilling the holes for the door handles in the wrong place so printed out loads of identical templates on A4 paper for the 2 sizes I was using. Stuck them to the installed doors with masking tape and then went round checking - am I sure its where I want it, are the hinges the right side, will it open without clattering into something.... yes yes yes, so get drilling.

Turned out to be a long and at times tiring job but probably the most satisfying I have done.

Well my mate of a mate, who was going to do the worktops decided that the job was too difficult for him.
Racers, of this parish, stepped in to get me out of the mire.
And today he did a brilliant job.
As always, I was in charge of the pencils. 😀

Thanks Pete, you are a good friend and a talented bloke.

My spirit level never leaves my side, Doug :D

I suggest for fitting a kitchen a little laser level is a huge benefit e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Quig...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

It makes levelling units accurately across a whole room a doddle and far easier than using a spirit level.

My method is to install the units approximately and then place little blocks across all the unit corners back and front which have a line drawn on at the same height (or I have also used lego bricks where a little stack of different colours give you a quick datum). Using the laser you can instantly see which corners are high/low and adjust accordingly.

Well my mate of a mate, who was going to do the worktops decided that the job was too difficult for him.
Racers, of this parish, stepped in to get me out of the mire.
And today he did a brilliant job.
As always, I was in charge of the pencils. 😀

Thanks Pete, you are a good friend and a talented bloke.
Happy to help, it's going to look good when it's finished.

Pete

Set your worktop height from the highest point of the floor to make sure you won't have a problem with under counter appliances not fitting

kitchen fitting......

>start with a corner unit
>fit base units first
>if you have full height units -fit those, adjust set your wall cabinet height off those.

if you have appliances like washing machine etc, if possible choose 650mm deep worktops, it makes getting the appliances back enough so much easier.

Back