Kitchen Fitters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to everyone.

A friend has just bought a B & Q type kitchen and the pilot holes for the drawer runners (amoung other things) are pre drilled. The problem is they are incorrectly pre drilled causing the drawer to slant. But it's only by a couple of mm and if I drill another hole in the correct place the holes will merge. The only way round it that I can see is to drill another hole in the runner itself, that is far enough away from the origonal hole to not be a problem.

But what do the pro's say? How would you do it?

T.I.A. Froggy.

I'm not a pro by any stretch, but could you plug the holes and re-drill in the correct place?

Depends on the runners, usually there are far more holes than you need so another one can be used with a suitable hole.

You could also glue a 5mm dowel into the existing hole, cut off flush and then redrill though teh bit may wander into teh softer MFC.

Its quite unusual for teh holes to be out of place as they are drilled on jig boreres, are you sure teh right holes in teh runners are being used.

J

"The only way round it that I can see is to drill another hole in the runner itself, that is far enough away from the origonal hole to not be a problem. "

I think you answered the problem yourself and that's what I would do. :)

before you do anything are you appsolutly sure that they are wrong? these things are usually very well made today.

The runners should have multiple holes with only three or four matched to pre-drilled , line up the runner using a solid guide i.e scrap wood , fix using 4 x 16 csk screws . Check the pre-drilled holes in the runner there should be a couple of slotted holes to allow for adjustment before final tightening. If this is not an option then complain to supplier.

Thanks for the quick replies. I've ruled out filling or plugging the existing hole and redrilling as I know from experience it gets messy. Doug, I don't know if there is any adjustment or not. I'll take a closer look when I go back. I'll also check that my friend hasn't screwed into the wrong hole. If all else fails I'll redrill the runner.

Thanks again Froggy.

What has been said above covers it well. My two pen'orth?

At this time of year just do whatever it takes to get the job done.

xy

I've fitted just about every manufacturers kitchen over the years and normally you get a piece of paper with all the measurements for drilling the holes in the drawer kit with B&Q kitchens.. i'd recommend drilling the holes before you assemble the unit if your a big chap like me. The adjusters for drawers are normally on the side of the drawer (small screw in a slotted hole), this normally gives +/- 4mm of adjustment. So you should be able to dial it out and get the gaps even. Hope that helps

I fitted a worktop recently and the owner asked me about a similar problem with one of his units. The base units had already been fitted and quite well to but one of the drawer fronts wouldn't slide all the way back to the unit and was out by about 4mm I checked the unit out and it was square and plumb and there was no adjustment for this. After measuring the depth each runner was fitted into the carcase I found that indeed one set of holes for the runners had been drilled wrong! They were all pre drilled holes too. Sorted it by using some of the other holes in the runners to 'adjust' it. I have never come across this before as has been stated they are usually drilled accurately.

Latest posts

Back