Kitchen extension Mega build. Photo heavy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final job completed this year was to turn this ......

DSC02123_zpskh3gqpbh.jpg

... into this.

DSC00458_zps7gbjxlwa.jpg

Full thread here for anyone interested in something non-woody.

Nice job.. Did I read it right that you sprayed some of the doors..? if so have you any information on what you used please.. Looks great.

I doubled the size of our kitchen it's now 12' by 10' which is massive where we live.. :)

And I too feel for you carrying egger boards.. I do it now and again at work.. very heavy . strange to think the ones we work with could cover the floor of my kitchen without joins, if I could get one in.

lee celtic":3qr184op said:
Nice job.. Did I read it right that you sprayed some of the doors..? if so have you any information on what you used please.. .

Lee - I used an Earlex 5000 (now superseded by the 5500) to spray my kitchen cabinet doors and was well pleased with the result. I used Johnstones water based paint mixed to a Farrow and Ball colour, and used Johnstones own brand primer. 3 coats of primer and 3 of colour. You get a "viscosity cup" with the unit and you'll need to play around with the mix by trial and error. I found that 45 secs gave the best results, which in practice meant thinning with 25% water. Strain the mix through one of your wife's old stockings/pop socks to get any lumps out. Failure to do that will clog the gun in no time. Thoroughly clean the unit after use, initially by spraying clean water through it, and then by dismantling and using the brushes provided. It's not difficult or rocket science!

But .... you do need somewhere dust free to spray in. I haven't, so had to wait for a calm day and do it outside. Whilst I was well pleased with the result, the next batch had to be done indoors, and without a spray booth, I used a dense foam mini roller instead, and with a bit of practice I found that I could get a finish nearly as good as spraying, at least for an eggshell finish. No good for high gloss I suspect. However, for Johnstones eggshell, it's difficult to tell the spray finish from the roller finish unless you put them side by side in a strong light and look very closely. In different parts of the room you'll never notice.

Back