Kitchen door price question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Have been talking to a friend of mine about his kitchen, his wife wanted some new doors to go on the existing units so they had a local kitchen firm come round to have a look and give them a price for supply. After gettin the price he told them to sod off! We didnt go into much details but the general gist of it was £125 (give or take a few) per door for a sprayed gloss white door - I'm presuming they were basic mrmdf slab style or maybe a shaker style. Units installed are from howdens.

So question is for you kitchen builders do you think thats over the top for such a basic door?

Thanks for any input!

Sprayed white, gloss, sounds a fair price to me.
Lot of work in getting true high gloss doors from a sprayed finish. needs about 4 or 5 coats of PU, 2 -3 days drying between coats, lots of burnishing back and then a mega burnish going through the grits and abrasive polishes.

If they are standard sizes you could buy in foil wraps a lot cheaper.

There's alot that needs to be built in to a quote and they all add up so a few questions;-
(1) how many doors / drawers are there?
(2) are they off the shelf doors or made to measure?
(3) Is it supply only or is rehanging included?
(4) are there any other changes involved?
(5) are new hinges / handles included?
(6) what about plinths, end panels, cornice and pelmets?

Cheers Bob, I'll phone him tomorrow and find out how good the finish was supposed to be - from doors I've seen theres deffo a difference in whats 'high gloss' from one firm to another.

Hi Chrispy

(1) how many doors / drawers are there?

Cant comment on door/draw combo's but there are 20 units making up the kitchen.

(2) are they off the shelf doors or made to measure?

As the original kitchen is from howdens I'm assuming everythings standard widths, I dont know if howden doors are taller than some others? (like ikea ones are)

(3) Is it supply only or is rehanging included?

Supply only.

(4) are there any other changes involved?

Not as far as I know, as i mentioned we didnt go into much detail so I dont know if there were end panels/plinths etc - I shall find out tomorrow

(5) are new hinges / handles included?

Presumed keeping old hinges, also presumed old handles but will find out.

I know I havent given much info at the moment but this post was a spur of the moment thing :oops: - I'll phone the old git tomorrow and get some more detail. Thanks for the help so far!

Yep, Bob is right, I've done a high gloss floor to ceiling corner cupboard for a kitchen. Making it was the easy bit, spraying/cutting back/polishing etc was very involved indeed.

If I've read the op post correctly
The quote was for to

supply a door Painted in a high gloss white
If so then that is a bargain price =D> =D>

If the quote was just to spray the doors then that is about the going rate around where i live

As far as I know though Howdens do not produce just a bare door and drawer set for Painting
all their doors are pre finished as are their panels

Roger

doctor Bob":1lb9rpge said:
Sprayed white, gloss, sounds a fair price to me.
Lot of work in getting true high gloss doors from a sprayed finish. needs about 4 or 5 coats of PU, 2 -3 days drying between coats, lots of burnishing back and then a mega burnish going through the grits and abrasive polishes.

If they are standard sizes you could buy in foil wraps a lot cheaper.

I agreed with Bob that the price sounds fair, also it is one of those finishes that the smallest imperfection shows up so it cannot be rushed.

And it normally happens right at the end of the finishing process as well :roll:

Tom

Had a word with him today and the price was for supply of the doors only, no hardware/fitting/extras or anything.

I've advised him to go have a look at some cheaper foil wrapped doors instead, I dont think he had realised that once all the doors have been changed the rest (cornice/plinth) will look odd and need changing too #-o :)

Many thanks for the input folks, handy being able to get opinion's from the people making the things.

Regards.

No skills":sl852sft said:
Had a word with him today and the price was for supply of the doors only, no hardware/fitting/extras or anything.

I've advised him to go have a look at some cheaper foil wrapped doors instead, I dont think he had realised that once all the doors have been changed the rest (cornice/plinth) will look odd and need changing too #-o :)

Many thanks for the input folks, handy being able to get opinion's from the people making the things.

Regards.

I buy foil wrapped doors from this local (to me) manufacturer http://www.browns2000.co.uk/ They produce very good quality doors and will deliver nationally. the factory facility is huge.

Bob

Back