Kitchen - Dining Table Questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of making my first piece of furniture - a kitchen table and I was wondering if someone here could help me with some problems with dimensions. The table top is 1800 x 800 and I'm having trouble working out the table top overhang (in relation to the legs & rails). Is there a standard rule for this or just what feels right.

Also, the table top is quite meaty - 40mm thick. Will 100mm deep rails be enough? The timber I have for this is 128mm and I was going to trim it down so I have room for manoeuvre.

Thanks in advance for all your help. And I have been taking WIP pics so I'll make a new thread when it's finished and you can all have a look and a (hopefully gentle) critique!

Cheers,

Keith.

I recently did an extending table (butterfly-table-t54891.html)and struggled to find any information about overhang, In the end the other measurements for the mechanism and clearance for the legs left me with little option for the overhang. I think it was 60mm ish, my table had 32mm thick top but bevelled at the edge though it was similar size to yours when extended..
I think its the sort of thing that is done by eye, you can tell if its right or not.

As far as the rails go 100mm should be plenty I think, as long as its thick enough. More important is the clearance for peoples legs underneath, I did a curve into the centre to give a bit more clearance.

Good luck

Have you tried your local library? I remember borrowing a book which gave you set dimensions for chairs, tables etc.

Stew

In architecture, a general rule of thumb for a cantilever is two thirds of the overall distance supported, with a third overhanging (if that makes sense?). Dunno if it's the same for woodworking though.

Ollie78":1n22t11r said:
I recently did an extending table (butterfly-table-t54891.html)and struggled to find any information about overhang, In the end the other measurements for the mechanism and clearance for the legs left me with little option for the overhang. I think it was 60mm ish, my table had 32mm thick top but bevelled at the edge though it was similar size to yours when extended..
I think its the sort of thing that is done by eye, you can tell if its right or not.

As far as the rails go 100mm should be plenty I think, as long as its thick enough. More important is the clearance for peoples legs underneath, I did a curve into the centre to give a bit more clearance.

Good luck

Ollie,

I ended up doing the same and doing it by eye. 60mm from the outside of the table leg and 70mm ish from the rail. Looks alright so far but time will tell. The rails are also 100mm deep but with plenty of clearance. It's my first project so I'm trying to find the fine line between not over thinking every aspect and just rushing it. It will be finished within the fortnight so I'll stick a WIP up and then we'll decide!

Thanks for the help.

Keith.

There are "standard" dimensions for lots of pieces of furniture, including tables.

But, Houston, we have a problem.

One dimension that has remained pretty much unchanged since Victorian times is the height of the table. I know this isn't what you are asking about, but stay with me.

Dining tables are 29 1/2" high. Why? Because doorways are 30" wide. So why is this a problem? Well in those days the average person was several inches shorter than we are. I am taller than my dad, he was taller than his dad and my nephews are going to be taller than I am, if they are not already. So legs are longer, and we could all do with a bit more clearance for knees under the table.

100mm rails should be OK, but if the top is 40mm thick instead of the trad 20mm (3/4") then instead of having a bit more leg clearance, we actually have even less.

So my advice is raise the table top a couple of inches, make the dining chairs an inch higher and replace all the doorways in your house.

Just trying to be helpful! :)

Cheers
Steve, who understood the knee-clearance bit when he made and designed his dining suite, but forgot about the 30" doorway issue.....

Luckily I used the underside of the rail as the starting point (sizes from the Collins Woodworking Manual) and went up from there. This determined the length of the legs and not the other way around. Phew.

Now I just need to widen all the doorways before the in-laws come round from Christmas...

K.

Have a look at another table. Overhang is often more than you might guess and can be longer at the ends. Say 3" minimum but it depends on the design. Big solid top can take a long overhang at the ends say 10". Sounds improbable until you look around and start seeing examples which you hadn't previously noticed.

Jacob":2lvxxm77 said:
Have a look at another table. Overhang is often more than you might guess and can be longer at the ends. Say 3" minimum but it depends on the design. Big solid top can take a long overhang at the ends say 10". Sounds improbable until you look around and start seeing examples which you hadn't previously noticed.

Cheers for that.

Funny you mention those dimensions. This post had been up for a ood while with plenty of views and no replies some I had already gone ahead and made the decision my self (like the big brave boy I am).

For the sides approx. 3" and the ends approx. 9" The rule of thirds. I'll just apply it to everything!

K.

Quadie":3a17ckol said:
..... The rule of thirds. I'll just apply it to everything!

K.
:lol:
Rule 1 - Always look at other furniture (good or bad) whenever you get the chance
Rule 2 Always carry a tape measure
Rule 3 ?

Back