Kitchen Cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnf

Established Member
Reaction score
Planing a major kitchen build for swmbo this year so I a few questions

I want to make my own cabinets so do I use MFC or MRMFMDF and are there different qualitys of these products as swmbo want the best

Can you get different colours would prefer a off white or cream

Any idea on prices per sheet

Dunno if this works but here's some pictures of the kitchen I made for us about 3 years back, not complete at the time the photos were taken, but all the wood work was done

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.ph ... u=16025565

and

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.ph ... u=16025565

I then made this (last year) the height of the table is the same as our slightly over height worktops

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=4&u=16025565

well...the links work...but the piccies dont embed??? no doubt someone will tell me how to ........

the carcases are pine furniture board..... the dooors are made from bamboo flooring planks 15mm laminate....grooved and biscuited together.

the table is meranti with oak block work top.

Nice kitchen and table, like it a lot.

You need to use the BB code for the picture, most image hosts provide this somewhere on the page your photograph is on. Google should tell you all, and there is a page somewhere on this site telling you how to.

I wouldnt use paint as it will soon mark with use. I prefer to use egger boards which i have found to be the best quality and are available in a huge range of colours see here http://zoom.egger.com/uk-eng/zoom-dekor ... G_HTML.php

i usually use mfc as my saw cuts it cleanly and is a fair bit cheaper than the mdf for prices see here for a guide of what the prices are like
http://www.meyertimber.com/default.aspx ... bcatid=101 .Your off white of creams will be in the unicolour a or b bands i would have thought. I use a different supplier being further up north but i would have thought meyers or lathams would have a branch near you

cheers

Jon

I find painted surfaces inside kitchen cabinets mark too easily unless you use a 2k sprayed finish.

I'd go with the melamine option, any of the well known brands like Egger, kronospan, etc will be far superior to "conti board" from the sheds. I use both faced chipboard and MDF, the MDF gives a slightly better cut edge if you don't have a scoring blade.

Jason

EDIT great minds think alike :D

johnf":35c0x7i2 said:

I want to make my own cabinets so do I use MFC or MRMFMDF and are there different qualitys of these products as swmbo want the best
Is it just me?

I really find difficulty in understanding the oxymoron of "the best" and any kind serious talk of MDF or chipboard product. :( :D

sometimewoodworker":32uh001j said:
johnf":32uh001j said:

Is it just me?

I really find difficulty in understanding the oxymoron of "the best" and any kind serious talk of MDF or chipboard product. :( :D

Well, its a question of value I suppose, combined with a few spoonfuls of design. Not everyone, or even many people, can afford a solid wood kitchen. Not everyone wants the look of a solid wood kitchen, myself included. My own kitchen is a combination of an unusual brown oak veneer on MDF and MFC substrates, and Corian with sleek aluminum profiles, and never fails to draw praise for the way it looks. But its certainly not traditional woodwork.

So in some cases you can talk seriously of using MDF as a substrate. The MR variety is even reasonably pleasant to work, provided you don't breath...

sometimewoodworker":2vvwyy10 said:
johnf":2vvwyy10 said:

Is it just me?

So any suggestions for what is the best material for carcases? considering suitability for use, value for money, amount of finishing required, etc. Given that an average 600mm base unit carcase with one shelf will need nearly 3 cu.ft of timber.

J

sometimewoodworker":3eys7di1 said:
I really find difficulty in understanding the oxymoron of "the best" and any kind serious talk of MDF or chipboard product.

One of the problems with using solid wood, espcially in a kitchen environment, is that of movement due to the inevitable changes in moisture content.

I think you are miss understanding.

I know you can make reasonable to quite good quality cabinets from MDF variants and higher quality chipboard, and they may well be best value for money. They may look best to you. There is nothing wrong with that

But the statement was "SWMBO wants the best" and in conjunction with either MDF or chipboard it strikes me as an oxymoron.

I don't suggest that solid, i.e. cut from a board, wood is needed, but veneered (with melamine if wanted) good quality plywood for cabinets is certainly better quality than glue and sawdust or wood chips.

so
the best
the best to work with
the best value
the best I can get for the money I want to spend
the best to make a profit on

All have different answers. And one is probably right for you.

However an unqualified best with either MDF or chipboard is an oxymoron

Thanks every one for there comments

Just to clarify my original post

When I said swmbo wants the best I was thinking durabilty so I can make a cabinet that stands the test of time certainly solid wood for cabinets which you will only see the insides of is a waste of time and effort

Jon I will probably go to Lathams as I have used them before

I really find difficulty in understanding the oxymoron of "the best" and any kind serious talk of MDF or chipboard product.
:lol: :lol:

You sound like Bib the Boulder in DIY SOS! But I agree, i'm using 18mm ply at the moment, or will when I find out what me son's done with my tools, again!

Roy.

Back