Kitchen cabinets.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jar944

Established Member
Reaction score
Working on a kitchen currently. 28.5 mil Maple doors/drawers, mdf panels.

IMG_20210307_171437_231.jpg

20200222_225855.jpg

20201223_202346.jpg

20210207_145856.jpg

Looks great!!
I take it you are making the doors snug to the frame, and then shooting or sanding down to size? What gap are you aiming for, given the expansion/contraction you might expect...

Maple too, and that stuff has got a habit of shifting a fair bit seasonal.

Make sure its done in winter for maximum sizes :LOL: My TV unit I did in maple and it makes some fair old noises from winter to summer.

Very very nice workmanship by the way. Mind and show off the completed build :cool:

Looks great!!
I take it you are making the doors snug to the frame, and then shooting or sanding down to size? What gap are you aiming for, given the expansion/contraction you might expect...

Correct. I prefer to fit the doors/drawers tight to the frames then cut the gaps for all doors at once. In this case I'll be going for .070" all around the doors.

As for how I cut the doors for the expansion gaps. ill do it on the planer or spindle moulder.

Last edited:
Maple too, and that stuff has got a habit of shifting a fair bit seasonal.

Make sure its done in winter for maximum sizes :LOL: My TV unit I did in maple and it makes some fair old noises from winter to summer.

Very very nice workmanship by the way. Mind and show off the completed build :cool:

I find maple (and this kitchen is mostly soft maple) to be relatively stable, or at least as stable as poplar (tulip).

This was tulip
20190926_224037.jpg

20191027_184113.jpg

The reason Maple moves more in UK? We get all the sub standard US timber exports. Nice workmanship for sure but really easy with the equipment you have. Biggest problem? So yesterday, designs from 40 years ago. Try summut new, fgs !

The reason Maple moves more in UK? We get all the sub standard US timber exports.
You'll need to come up with verifiable evidence to substantiate that claim to convince me of its veracity, because what you said, possibly (hopefully?) meant as a tongue-in-cheek and throwaway joke, doesn't match what I know about North American lumber grading, packing, shipping and export practices. Slainte.

PS. High quality workmanship demonstrated in the cabinetry shown, by the way.

Very nice! A few basic questions:

Would you mind showing which cutters were used for the joinery, and how you approach the glue-up in those tulip cabinet frames? I find it hard to locate those thin astragals correctly, and keep them tight up against the profile.

Also, assuming they are to be glazed, how to you fit the glass?

What I can't understand, and not only this project and it's not a dig at the quality of work, why you would use selected timber and then paint it black?

Very nice workmanship Jar, most impressed. I suppose the answer to why you would paint such nice wood is that it’s what the client wants, and the alternative to tulip or maple is something not as good and it would cause problems in the manufacture or in the future, but I quite agree it does seem a shame to paint it. I was working on a home cinema very similar to that when I was last in the US, it’s almost dark when you go in and it’s definitely dark when it’s being used and it’s a real shame because they won’t see those lovely doors. Ian

The reason Maple moves more in UK? We get all the sub standard US timber exports. Nice workmanship for sure but really easy with the equipment you have. Biggest problem? So yesterday, designs from 40 years ago. Try summut new, fgs !

As long as it doesn't look modern. I would be curious to hear what part of the design is dared, its "in" over here currently.

very nicely done.
Thanks

That video is painful to watch. I can see the endgrain of the styles breaking out at the end of the pass and taking piecemeal cuts will throw the door out of square. Better to use an accurate table saw or a hand plane.

That video is painful to watch. I can see the endgrain of the styles breaking out at the end of the pass and taking piecemeal cuts will throw the door out of square. Better to use an accurate table saw or a hand plane.

If you notice in the video there is a partial cut before the door is flipped and the cut is finished. No way to blow the end grain out as its always supported, and the unsupported part never passed over the cutterhead.

As for piecemeal cuts, its one cut per edge.

This is not that uncommon of a method over here.

Very nice! A few basic questions:

Would you mind showing which cutters were used for the joinery, and how you approach the glue-up in those tulip cabinet frames? I find it hard to locate those thin astragals correctly, and keep them tight up against the profile.

Also, assuming they are to be glazed, how to you fit the glass?

The tulip frame (home theater cabinetry) was cut with a cmt head
10019_n_FM_694.014.jpg

Assuming you are talking about gluing up the door? Its just making sure the parts are the correct length
Here is a picture of those doors in process
20190917_193258.jpg

20190918_213516.jpg

The glass is held in with a dab of silicone and glazing beads.
20210204_234513.jpg

What I can't understand, and not only this project and it's not a dig at the quality of work, why you would use selected timber and then paint it black?

Maple, and tulip are considered paint grade woods here, with maple being a upgrade over tulip. (Less grain telegraphing through the paint and more resistance to dents) Those two woods are relatively inexpensive as well. Most of that maple was $1 a board foot, making it about as expensive as the lowwer grades of MDF.
The other reason is Mdf is generally locked down on in custom work (some people won't even use it for center panels).

Very nice workmanship Jar, most impressed. I suppose the answer to why you would paint such nice wood is that it’s what the client wants, and the alternative to tulip or maple is something not as good and it would cause problems in the manufacture or in the future, but I quite agree it does seem a shame to paint it. I was working on a home cinema very similar to that when I was last in the US, it’s almost dark when you go in and it’s definitely dark when it’s being used and it’s a real shame because they won’t see those lovely doors. Ian

Thanks.
Yes basically, but the cost difference between maple and an alternative is really minimal compared to the cost of the whole project.

Maple, and tulip are considered paint grade woods here, with maple being a upgrade over tulip. (Less grain telegraphing through the paint and more resistance to dents) Those two woods are relatively inexpensive as well. Most of that maple was $1 a board foot, making it about as expensive as the lowwer grades of MDF.
The other reason is Mdf is generally locked down on in custom work (some people won't even use it for center panels).

Thanks. I understand now(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Back