Kitchen cabinets - blind corner storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siggy_7

Full time tool collector, part time woodworker
Reaction score
I've been tasked with building and fitting a new kitchen. I'm planning to build the units from scratch with melamine faced ply (my experiences with MFC have been less than positive). Our kitchen is a bit of a funny shape - it's a combined kitchen-diner and the room is an L-shape; you enter the kitchen area from one end with a run of cabinets down each side and along the far end also. This creates two blind corners at the far end; because of a chimney on one corner the depth of the right hand blind corner is a great deal shallower than the left.

The challenge is to build in organisers into the cabinets to make the most efficient use of the space. Having looked at most of the solutions available, they generally have two downsides: inefficient use of space and lack of weight capacity.

The most efficient usage of space would be to use a system of boxes that you pull out like this: http://woodgears.ca/kitchen/organizer.html. However, if you want to get to the back of the deep cupboard (the blind space will be about 800mm deep) that's a lot of shuffling around of stuff which seems a right PITA. I'd much rather have some mechanism to do the shuffling for me - partly because of effort and partly because I think it's snazzier!

The best solution I have seen so far is something like this: http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=258332 The caddy, which is nice and square to maximise useful space, slides out and then hinges out of the way, leaving space to access the shelving from behind which runs forward on normal drawer slides. It looks like the pull out caddy might just be running on normal drawer slides, which I don't think will take the loading of a 450mm wide loaded caddy very well as it's cantilevered and projecting quite a distance forward of the slides (despite claims to the contrary I know that it's going to be full of tins of food and cast iron cookware at some point). So I'm thinking of building a caddy like the above, but using a pair of round shafts and ball race linear bearings to carry the weight. My scoping calcs suggest this is quite doable with a sensible sized rail (16-20mm diameter).

Before I embark on a design and build exercise, has anyone seen better solutions to this problem?

Blum "Magic Corner Unit" - similar to the unit from Hardware Hut mentioned by Siggy_7 above. Really does maximise use of all the space in a blind corner, unlike the carousel type units which don't get right into the corners.

Kessebohmer Le Mans, best by far but a bit troublesome on the pocket. http://www.kesseboehmer.com/en/comp...furnishings-equipment/corner-cabinets/lemans/

Try this http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/p/pull...-for-cabinet-width-800-or-1000-mm/89132/10138it gains it's stability from resting on the base of the cabinet and the shelf, much easier on the wallet but just as effective. I've fitted dozens of them without complaint.

General rule of thumb with wirework, you get what you pay for, cheap will not last when loaded and used regularly, IMHO.

Thanks guys, we went and had a look at a couple of B&Q offerings just to see what these things looked and worked like in reality. The missus liked the Le mans style units, they also do a square wire basket system but you lose a lot of internal height to the mechanism beneath. I think we're going for a Le Mans unit on the right and something custom on the left, since there is nothing I have seen that will go deeper than the door width.

Paul Chapman":3uekbqx1 said:
Blum do a corner drawer unit which I think is the best solution by far https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blum+ ... 93&bih=471

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Ok those give marginally more storage space into the corner itself but transfer the wasted space into the adjacent units especially if they have drawers as most modern kitchens seem to demand.

MM

When our kitchen was redone about 8 years ago there were no clever bits of storage included. It now needs decorating (as opposed to replacement) and I had planned on improving the corner units to stop the migration of things to the back coners.

All systems seem to lose storage space - some more elegantly and expensively than others! However I have come to one of three solutions:

1. Simply "waste" the space - add an additional internal "side" to the corner unit and fit normal pull out trays. We will lose the space but at the moment they are simply full of stuff which rarely/never gets used anyway.
2. Use standard storage boxes with small wheels to run along the base or shelf into the lost space. This means that contents of the accessible side will need to be removed to get access.
3. A combination of 1 and 2 - instead of supporting the pull out units on an internal side, make a frame to support the runners and ensure pull out baskets are easily removed.

This probably only works if space is not at a premium in a small kitchen!

Terry

Back