Kitchen cabinet replacement door hinge fixing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikehardy

Reaction score
Hi, I need to replace the kitchen wall unit door hinges so I have purchased replacement items but the hinge part that fits onto the body have screws which I do not recognise (none carpenter) they look as if they screw into some sort of insert. The original ones are plastic mouldings bonded to the body. The body is made of melamine faced chipboard 1/2" thick. With no insert, do I get 12mm chipboard screws to fix.

Advise please. :(

Mike.

Mike, if the screws you are talking about are short stubby screws with a wide spaced thread then they just screw into the chip board. You will have to drill pilot holes first as they have no self drilling point. Take your time and be sure not to damage the drilled hole. I had to repair a similar hole as the hinge had come lose.

I wrapped the screw in PTFE (plumbers tape) and used a shim (toothpick) to pack the hole out. That way I can still remove the screw if needs be.
David

hinge and screw.JPG

Hi David, Thanks - is this the screw you refer to.

Mike.

Attachments

• hinge and screw.JPG
    hinge and screw.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 55
if the above pic is your screws you need a 5mm drill bit to pilot the hole, put the drill bit into the chuck and measure what sticks out, now find a scrap of wood that same length less the length of the screw, drill thru the wood and you have a depth gauge and cant go thru the cabinet :D

Back