Kitchen Cabinet paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowardM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
As titled.
I am building some Ply Kitchen Cabinets and am looking for a finish to protect from going soggy from accidental spillages.
Are water based varnishes waterproof.? I painted my shed with water based “paint” and the weather has washed it off!
Thx
Howard

I cannot say about varnishes but water based paint is fine, I used Valspar garden colours on my arbour and that has been great, no issues and also Johnstones paint in a bathroom and again no issues. I do know that people with boats only use oil based varnish because of the salt and a harsh enviroment.

I used Ronseal satin interior clear varnish, water based, quick dry, has lasted well on a few things. Then I started using Screwfix own brand, half the price and as far as I can tell just the same, takes a bit longer to dry - 60 mins to touch dry 4 hrs to recoat stage from memory. You can get 2 or 3 coats on in a day which is useful.

I used water based varnish on some window inner sills but it went white when it got wet with condensation and then turned clear again when dry. May have been well out of date and cheap though. Just used Ronseal ultra tough spirit based satin to seal my new bench for a radial arm saw and its so far been good. Takes a while to dry but seems pretty tough and easy to use.

I have read the comments here and if it's OK I would like to ask a question about a different but connected subject. My kitchen cabinet doors have faded in places because of the sun shining through the window. Is it possible to use a car product such as T-Cut to rejuvenate their colour, so I don't have to replace the cabinets that are actually in good condition apart from the fading ? Thanks.

Old Chippy,
depends on the covering material....are they a man made finish or real wood....?
u could just try a corner somewhere to try it out....

we needed a new kitchen as it looked scruffy for our tourist renters....
the cupboards were good so we just had doors made.....High gloss finish.....about 20% of the cost of a new kitchen...
If ur doors are man made choose a different colour to go two tone nobody will know provided u get the same style.....
there are plenty of replacement door makers in the UK....
it worked for us.....

Hi clogs. I will have a look at the doors to see what they are made of. The units were in the house when we purchased it. The idea of new doors is a good one. but at our age the idea of spending what would be quite a large sum of money replacing 15 doors and drawers for someone else to enjoy seems a bit too much. So I think its down to a refurb of existing doors etc. I would like to thank you for the advice as I really appreciate it.

Hi Owd Jockey. I have viewed the attachment and it looks like a very good idea. We will (when we get a chance) go and have a look at what B&Q have to offer.
Thank you very much for informing me about the product.

Really you want a laquer, these are hard-wearing and designed for high wear situations.

Water bourne paints should be fine once cured but look for a paint designed for what you are doing not just a general purpose paint.

Ollie

Really you want a laquer, these are hard-wearing and designed for high wear situations.

Water bourne paints should be fine once cured but look for a paint designed for what you are doing not just a general purpose paint.

Ollie
Thanks for the tip

Thanks to all who have given me advice about paint etc. for cabinet doors. I think now I'm just about covered for me to make a decision on what to do. It's good that people are kind enough to offer advice to help me. Thanks again

Back