Kitchen Cabinet doors - soft close AND push to open?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening gents
As per the title really, can you have both?
I was looking at changing the existing cheap hinges for some Blum blumotion soft close but also like the idea of handleless doors, but the Blum Tip-on require unsprung hinges so I'm guessing one cannot have both without going motorised?
TIA

you set the softclose hinges so that the door is 4mm of face of carcass then have either the tipmatic springs drilled into carcass or the type that screw to underside of the top. I use them all time on doors and drawers. Have a look on hafele for 'Grass tipmatic'

Interesting, thanks; never occurred to me that soft-close hinges would have enough 'oomph' to push the tip-on/tipmatic piston back home; seems like it shouldn't work, that they'd find some kind of equilibrium - I'll have to try it out!

FWIW like Blum, Grass state their tipmatic is for use with unsprung hinges - but what do they know, lol ;)

Cheers, Pete

Same as others I always thought it was not possible to have both, have always told customers its push to open or soft close as they won't work together. Have never tried it though, was just going by what Blum etc recommended.

Doug

You can have both but there would be very little point as the soft close hinge will not provide the door with enough oomph to allow the door to close with the Tip On closers fitted, no matter whether the TipOn is fitted with its own plate/ carrier or drilled & recessed into the cabinet.

The Tip On itself acts as a damper when you shut the door and then press it to close. Technically the TipOn is a "Push to Open" and a "Push to Close" system.

Back