Kitchen base unit - odd size needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I need a 900mm width kitchen base unit to replace one due to water damage, and that seems to be an odd size...

The depth is 570mm, but the slot at the rear is at 500mm.

Does anyone know where I might buy one at a reasonable price, or is it going to be easier to get a 1000mm one and cut it down or just make one from scratch?

It's only temporary (although, that's all relative when it comes to my place so it could easily be there in 5 years) so I don't want to spend a fortune...

Just a basic MFC base unit.

I've got doors for it already.

Thanks for any pointers.

Torx

Not sure what you mean by the ‘slot at the rear’ but Howden’s do 900 units.

Attachments

• B500575D-4C01-4604-AEAD-26C8FA8CB82B.png
    B500575D-4C01-4604-AEAD-26C8FA8CB82B.png
    413.3 KB · Views: 0
A 900mm wide kitchen unit is commonplace....If its 570mm deep with 500mm internal depth, it sounds like it may be a Howdens unit, as DBC has suggested.....

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by the ‘slot at the rear’ but Howden’s do 900 units.
A 900mm wide kitchen unit is commonplace....If its 570mm deep with 500mm internal depth, it sounds like it may be a Howdens unit, as DBC has suggested.....

Thanks, but I think you need an account to purchase from Howdens?

I suspect the slot at the back is where a piece of plywood/hardboard is inserted to form the back to the unit.
Yes, that’s it.

Thanks, but I think you need an account to purchase from Howdens?

Yes, that’s it.

If you only need one unit as a replacement, your local Howdens may accomodate you.....Its worth asking them.

Failing that, a lot of your local builders probably have a Howdens account,...perhaps one of them may be able to order it for you on their account....?

It depends on the local Howdens staff but worth a word with the manager as you won't step on anyones toes getting one replacement unit, or as also suggested order through a friendly builder, just a paper excercise as you can collect and give him cash in hand, it's up to him whether it goes through the books though I'm not suggesting that would happen. ;)

Personally I would just buy a cheapie, cut it down and reinforce it, they are very simple to make.

Just tell the staff in howdens you are in the trade and they will do you a cash sale. Other option just get a 1000mm unit and cut it down simple job.

You would barely buy the materials for the price being charged for a basic 1000mm base unit. Then spend a few of hours cutting and assembling.

Alternatively - order online and collect 1000mm B&Q base for £54. Ten minutes to remove 1000mm from width of base, shelves, frame. Screw together - even if head is on outer surface of side it wont show once in position.

Job done.

You would barely buy the materials for the price being charged for a basic 1000mm base unit. Then spend a few of hours cutting and assembling.

Alternatively - order online and collect 1000mm B&Q base for £54. Ten minutes to remove 1000mm from width of base, shelves, frame. Screw together - even if head is on outer surface of side it wont show once in position.

Job done.

Yes, was just about to reply along these lines, I don’t think I could do it much cheaper. I don’t like the holes inside the B&Q one but will find something similar and modify.

Thanks all.

Job done.
So then you have a 0mm base unit ?

I found that if you cut about 3mm larger than you need then finish to size with a router against a batton with a straight cutter in to exact size you get a clean cut and i found a use for old 1/2" router cutters that the tips were blunt on

Yes, was just about to reply along these lines, I don’t think I could do it much cheaper. I don’t like the holes inside the B&Q one but will find something similar and modify.

Thanks all.
Wicks units are off the shelf and good quality

Back