Kirsty’s homemade Christmas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheptonphil

Scrumpy junkie
Reaction score
Well, did anyone see Kirsty get instruction in using a roughing gouge from ‘expert’ Ruth.

Please, please don’t try using a roughing (or any other) gouge holding it with two hands on the handle, and no support anywhere near the rest. Kirsty even drifted off the left hand end and all but dove the chisel into the rotating wood point on.

it was horrendous a working practice and just plain downright dangerous. 🙁🙁🙁

low budget tv. luckily, I doubt that anybody will use it as a tutorial. It doesn't reflect well on the teacher though allowing it to happen. I presume that Kirsty had no interest in what she was doing and no actual teaching. She merely posed for a few action shots before cooing loudly over the finished item that had been made by the teacher.

I always wonder what the teacher is paid for this- is it the "good exposure", the standard rate for a day of teaching, or is it quite lucrative?

In this case it was crafting members of public doing their ‘thing’. The shots were several seconds of quite frightening light-sabre like gouging under constant instruction.

nearest hand was 12” from the rest. 😳

I couldn’t believe my eyes watching it. I wonder what the instructor is thinking if she watched the aired programme, I’d be pretty pineappled with being portrayed as a novice, which she wasn’t and the potential reputation damage.
I assume the production company were convincing that all would be ok in the edit!

Good stuff .
In the new year there will be loads of " used once " wood turning lathes for sale .
Plus some bent gouges with a bit of claret on them !

I happened to be flicking through the channels and did catch a bit of Kirsty at a lathe. I know nothing much about turning, but it did strike me that the support was too short for the piece, and that her chisel was noticably falling off the end. not an instruction video admitedly but yikes!!! I hope it was badly edited and the instructor was actually vaguelly interested in keeping kirsty's fingers in place

Channel 4 Thursday 10th 2020 at 5pm.

It’s on catchup on all sources of catchup. Look for episode nine,
well worth a view.

I won’t do a spoiler and say who won, but the cardboard stage did look good for young children to have fun with.

low budget tv. luckily, I doubt that anybody will use it as a tutorial. It doesn't reflect well on the teacher though allowing it to happen. I presume that Kirsty had no interest in what she was doing and no actual teaching. She merely posed for a few action shots before cooing loudly over the finished item that had been made by the teacher.

I always wonder what the teacher is paid for this- is it the "good exposure", the standard rate for a day of teaching, or is it quite lucrative?
The days of appearing on TV, 'for good exposure' are long gone. especially for people with any sense. Our group has been approached many times to appear with the plea 'we have no budget' Is your cameraman doing this for free? Sound, director, make up and all the rest. The answer will be no, they will want to get paid. Therefore you have a budget, Here is our fee.

o_O Scared the heck out of me! Subsequently my ranting and yelling at the TV scared the heck out of the rest of my family (or it would have done if they weren't so accustomed to it already!). I was amazed the the health and safety brigade didn't have anything to say about it.

I was rather unimpressed with the finished item too. I'm no master craftsman but I wouldn't let anything out of my workshop that was finished to that standard. I then couldn't believe it when the item was chosen as the best of the bunch!

I really do dispair at the level to which TV has been "dumbed down" to appeal to an audience which production companies assume (and it may well be true but what do I know?) don't have the attention span to watch a programme with real educational value - case in point; The Repair Shop.

o_O Scared the heck out of me! Subsequently my ranting and yelling at the TV scared the heck out of the rest of my family!

I really do dispair at the level to which TV has been "dumbed down" to appeal to an audience which production companies assume (and it may well be true but what do I know?) don't have the attention span to watch a programme with real educational value - case in point; The Repair Shop.
I was told to calm down too, my expletive of ‘Nooooooooooo’ didn’t go down well at full volume. 🙈

Agree about the repair shop, thoroughly enjoy that programme. Craftsmanship personified.

Well this prompted me to hunt out the program - it was even worse than described on here, how we didn't see a gouge cartwheeling round the shed I will never know (perhaps they edited that bit out). The other daft thing was giving Kirsty a large, square block of timber to start knocking the edges off - why on earth didn't they give her a nice smooth cylinder to start off with ?

I Have just watched the appropriate part on catch up. That was shocking TBH. I also noticed in her introduction, There was a shot of the woodworker using a table saw. It didn't appear to have a riving knife on it.

I Have just watched the appropriate part on catch up. That was shocking TBH. I also noticed in her introduction, There was a shot of the woodworker using a table saw. It didn't appear to have a riving knife on it.
Also n the introduction, Kirsty said she was frightened of the lathe and things coming off and hitting her in the face. When she asked expert Ruth if that ever happened to her, she said ‘often’. At that point I’d have been running the other way very fast.

I can see those who picked up a Parkside lathe alongside the weekly shop thinking “ah-ha, so that’s how you’re supposed to it” or people getting a lathe for Christmas saying “At least I know how to rough down properly, I saw Kirstie doing it just before Christmas“.
At best it’s not good and IMO quite irresponsible 😡

Latest posts

Back