Kippers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can never get my head round the dyed fish thing. I love a bit of smoked haddock for breakfast once a week, but I only buy the undyed. Why would anyone want bright yellow fish?
I love kippers, last time i had some was in Lancashire 18 months ago while clearing mums place, bought 3 big ones in Booths & they were excellent. Thick fresh bread & a big dollop of good marmalade to spread on the kippers. Lovely!
Nò sccounting for taste. Would sir reqire custard with his kippers and marmalade?

Lol!

John

I wasnt the originator of marmalade with kippers by any means, I read about it in a book on Thames barges & it was reputed to be popular amongst bargees & fishermen.
I was always sceptical until the day i tried it. It was a revelation, Absolutely superb, you should try it!

I wasnt the originator of marmalade with kippers by any means, I read about it in a book on Thames barges & it was reputed to be popular amongst bargees & fishermen.
I was always sceptical until the day i tried it. It was a revelation, Absolutely superb, you should try it!
now then Mr Brown, how is Paddington? 😁

I like the flavour of kippers, just can't be bothered dealing with the bones. Same goes for most fish really, it has to be boneless.
I know, I'm a philistine and can't help it but my preference lies with Mr John West's finest kippers in brine, as his fish never got large enough to actually grow any detectable bones, and a tin of them between two slices of toast makes me feel rather civilized.

I know, I'm a philistine and can't help it but my preference lies with Mr John West's finest kippers in brine, as his fish never got large enough to actually grow any detectable bones, and a tin of them between two slices of toast makes me feel rather civilized.

Nothing wrong with tinned fish. I eat quite a bit of tinned mackerel. It comes in boneless fillets either plain or with nice sauces. I like it mixed with rice as a simple dinner/lunch.
I also sometimes buy tinned fish from the asian supermarket, they don't say they are boneless but so far all the ones I have had are either boneless or the bones have been cooked long enough to turn them as soft as the meat.

I always turned my nose up at tinned fish. still not very keen on tinned tuna, but I enjoy most of the others that I have tried- usually on toast for lunch. There is a very good range in most supermarkets now too.

I would try it; if I liked marmalade.
Lol!

John

Try these chaps they are pretty good, says SWMBO. I can't stand seafood personally.

https://www.smoka.co.uk/smoked-herring-kippers?sort=sort_order_asc&page=1
Droogs - you may compliment your wife. Bought from this company after reading SWMBO's recommendation, ordered Tuesday, arrived today. Not had a kipper for years but remember how much I do like a good one. Ordered kippers, smoked haddock, cold smoked salmon, cheese and olives - a little treat for me and the wife during lockdown. Just had the best smoked salmon and cream cheese baguette (hot home baked baguette) in a long time. Smoked haddock tomorrow and kippers on Sunday morning. Can life get any better?

Back