Kindle and Kindle books to share

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Looked in at Amazon uk and the kindle books.

The terms state that books registered with Amazon can be shared simultaneously with up to six devices.

So anyone here Kindle users and want to share their downloads?

PS if the watching is not simultaneously does that mean that more users can be added ??????

My brother and I bought one for a crimbo present for our mum last year,and she loves it. There was some confusion at the beginning with buying from the amazon store, i found this out when I found her booking flights to Brazil :lol:

Not to sure about the sharing issue will ask later

Adidat

Be careful - it's not that obvious from the headlines, but to share books freely, all the Kindles would have to be registered to the same Amazon account. That may work within a family, but you might not want to let the rest of us spend your money on Amazon content, even if we are forum members!

I think there are different rules for 'lending' content in the US.

However, there are lots of old books available in pdf which are ok to read on the Kindle; I find it a very useful way of making them accessible. (See https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/free-down-loadable-woodworking-books-t52971.html)

Not yet familiar with this system yet, but can kindle go to a PC and then to a dvd etc. (the musical game all over again? :wink: )

Harbo":1ityttiy said:
I'm sure Amazon mean devices in your possession?
Otherwise it's Piracy?

Rod

I understand where you are coming from but printed books do not seem to suffer that title.(piracy)

If you do have a kindle get:
http://calibre-ebook.com/
and
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/ ... nd-others/

I have both and imo they are invaluable.

Once you have stripped the DRM you can share all you want. ( I am of course talking about sharing within your family.)

Edit:
It is also a good way to backup your ebooks in such a way as to prevent amazon from reclaiming them (the way they did with George Orwell's 1984).

Piracy is just an exotic piece of slang for Copyright Infringement. I think it was used because the 'Pirates' were selling illegal copies for a profit; the 'piratical' part of stealing copyright maybe. I'm sure you know that in literature copyright theft, is called plagiarism, which is a bit loose. Usually refers to someone stealing bits of prose, for their own work. Reprinting books without permission, for selling on, I suppose would be called piracy too. Either way it should land these parasites in 'ot watter!

John :)

Yet Amazon sell second hand printed books.
And so called s/h books for 1p.

and car boot sales have stalls of them etc.

Read inside any book and it explains what you cannot legally do with them.
As it does with DVD's, and I am sure eBooks?
Nobody bothers to photocopy books as its not commercially viable whereas copyrighted electronic data can be copied at virtually no cost.
Books in their original form (covers etc) can be classed as "articles, objects etc" and as such can be sold, lent or given away.

Rod

Woody,
Second hand books, being sold on, no problem. Just like you can sell second-hand tools, cars, bikes, whatever.
It's easy to dispose of books you no longer need on Amazon, and at a profit if they're the right kind of books.
It all pays for the extra tools SWIMBO says I don't need!

:D
John

devonwoody":7ihlbl0q said:
Yet Amazon sell second hand printed books.
And so called s/h books for 1p.

and car boot sales have stalls of them etc.

In that situation you are selling the thing itself, which you can do with anything so far as I know, you're not making a copy and selling that, ie you still have the original or a copy of it.

I've got 'Young Studs Feel They're Nuts...a play on words' and 'Big Babs Boobs...a mistaken tale' to swap.

I'd like to get hold of '101 Potato Soup Recipes' and '101 Things To Do with Sawdust'.

Roger, they sound exciting, yes I would like to preview them, please send me down the material. John. :mrgreen:

BTW are you still doing well with your lodger activities. (Roger the lodger)

RogerS":33k3hhmb said:
I'd like to get hold of '101 Potato Soup Recipes' and '101 Things To Do with Sawdust'.

I have an earlier version - '99 Things to do with Sawdust' - any good to you?

It is a bit boring though...

1, Burn it
2, Burn it
3, Burn it
99, Burn it

Yours if you want it. :)

devonwoody":1ceifany said:
I understand where you are coming from but printed books do not seem to suffer that title.(piracy)

As has been touched on above, if you made a photocopy of a printed book you would be breaching its copyright, so yes books are subject to the same rules. Whether you make a profit on the sale is irrelevant.

That's how I understand it anyway.

regards

Brian

Latest posts

Back