Kiln dried timber advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased 20 cubes of European Oak 1"/26mm, boards are between 4" and 15" wide, from an as yet untried source.
On arrival, 3 weeks ago put them in stick and checked moisture content, which appeared fine.One or two of the wider boards had splits at ends but other than that all seemed to be fine.
Yesterday planed three of the boards down to 20mm after having sawn them in half. Today the 6 pieces are cupped,bowed and twisted yet the remaining timber in stick does not appear to have moved.
My experience in furnituremaking is long,my workshop is kept at a constant temperature yet the wood only moves after it is planed.
This is new to me.
Any help would be appreciated.

Did you take an equal amount off either side of the boards to keep them balanced. IF you planed/surfaced one side until it was smooth then thicknessed them by taking all the rest off the other side this may be the cause of your problems.

Jason

You imply but don't actually say that the boards had achieved moisture equilibrium in your shop. If this is so and your boads were losing no further weight/moisture, then the problem is related to stress relief and this thread might be useful https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 9325#29325

I suggest you do a prong test to check for improper kilning.

Reaction wood (eg from boughs rather than the trunk of a tree) which shouldn't be sold as ordinary timber but sometimes is, will have stresses that will become all too evident whilst machining.

Thanks Chris your reply and referral to S.D's ( or as I like to think of him)
"If he don't know it no one does", have shown me not to use this timber yard in a hurry, well let's see what they say next week first. If you are reading this Sgian I suspect they supplied you at your last location.
Once again, thank you.

Back