Kiln Dried Oak Supplier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael saxon

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am looking to purchase a quantity of European kiln dried oak in various sizes at trade prices for a new business venture I am looking to find a supplier have been looking at uk-sleepers and venables oak both on the net both based in Shropshire can anyone offer any suggestions I am based in west Yorkshire.

Arnold Laver in Leeds had a decent stock last time I was there. Don't know about price etc- I was only buying a tiny amount. The Bradford branch is larger, so should also have a decent stock.

Give Stuart a call at Scawton Sawmill - havnt got his number to hand but should be easy to find on google!

michael saxon":3gkbvaw6 said:
Hi Guys, I am looking to purchase a quantity of European kiln dried oak in various sizes at trade prices for a new business venture I am looking to find a supplier have been looking at uk-sleepers and venables oak both on the net both based in Shropshire can anyone offer any suggestions I am based in west Yorkshire.
There's John Boddy Timber in Boroughbridge of course, which is West Yorkshire, and one of the big suppliers in the country. How thick are you talking about? I ask because you mention sleepers, and you simply won't get kiln dried thick oak sleepers, ie, anything over about 4" thick. Nobody I'm aware of kiln dries really thick oak because it's expensive and almost certain to be the cause of serious drying faults leading to customer returns. Slainte.

Uk-sleepers is just the name of that particular company as they do green oak as well, yes you are quite right anything over 100mm and you have to use air dried and no good for furniture use, the sections I will mostly be using will be between 25mm to 75mm thick boards of varying widths and lengths. the style of furniture I am making is more a rustic design so want use character grade oak. thanks again for all the suggestions.

Depending on sizes I've used Cross Kiln in Osset nr Wakefield. Good stock of kiln dried slabs. Reasonable prices too.

Hi Guys, Have been looking at all your suggestions of suppliers did not realise there was so many in the West Yorkshire area its difficult to know if some are better than others in terms of price and timber quality without going round visiting them all (that would not be practical) could I ask if there are any members on the forum that are in business and purchasing kiln dried timber regularly from any trade supplier or importer. Thanks.

michael saxon":4z4aph6o said:
Hi Guys, Have been looking at all your suggestions of suppliers did not realise there was so many in the West Yorkshire area its difficult to know if some are better than others in terms of price and timber quality without going round visiting them all (that would not be practical) could I ask if there are any members on the forum that are in business and purchasing kiln dried timber regularly from any trade supplier or importer. Thanks.

The reality is that unless you actually go and select your timber yourself then what you get will be luck of the draw. Even asking what experience forum members have had is no criteria as quality of timber supplies varies all the time.

You don't gave any indication of the quantity that you are looking at nor whether you want to buy it waney edge, sawn or PAR. This all has a bearing. If quantities were small then I'd be tempted to simply bite the bullet, pay slightly more and buy PAR from British Hardwoods. I have always had excellent service from them and on the odd occasion where the wood had a problem (obvious shakes, for example) then they arranged a replacement without delay.

Hi, I previously used sawn edge, as did not know if waney edge is a lot cheaper when you take into account the extra sawing and waste? in terms of amount most suppliers do bundles be it of one size or a mixed lot so that's was what I was looking at, the last oak I purchased was character grade and that's fine for me. it's also difficult to compare suppliers on cost as it's sold by the cubic foot, meter or weight, and suppliers vary.
I am not just trying to find the cheapest supplier, but was looking for some recommendations from other trades purchasing for furniture production. It may just come down to trial and error to find a supplier that's right for you and disregarding the material cost? Many thanks for your advise.

If I were you then based on what you've said I'd be paying a visit to British Hardwoods and Arnold Laver, both have been good for me in the past

Back